NJ Appeals Panel OKs Appeal By Convicted Child Killer Jesse Timmendequas

TRENTON, N.J. (CBS) – A three-judge appeals panel in New Jersey has issued what could best be called a mixed decision for the man convicted of killing a Mercer County, NJ girl whose death led to the creation of “Megan’s Laws” across the country.

Attorneys for Jesse Timmendequas (above), now 50, argued that a county trial judge erred in rejecting their motions for a new trial based soley on the fact that New Jersey no longer has a death penalty.

Timmendequas was sentenced to death for the 1994 murder of Megan Kanka.

The panel did not change what is now a life-withhout-parole sentence, but did order the trial court to consider the merits of the filed appeal, which include contentions that Timmendequas’ lawyers at trial were ineffective.

The county prosecutor could comply or take the issue to the state Supreme Court.

Reported by David Madden, KYW Newsradio 1060

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from David Madden
Comments

1. Stacy says:

He should be moved to a state where they still have the death penalty and be put to death immediately!! He killed an innocent child…took her life frm her & her family so he doesn’t deserve to live…or better just hand him over to Ambrose Harris ib NJSP…he’ll finish him off.

2. Carolyn says:

I can not fathom how anyone, judge or jury panels could invoke life in prison for an animal who raped and murdered and innocent child, much less anyone else, who he may have come in contact with!!! Tammendequas should be allowed to breathe , much less live, whether his sentence has been commuted to life in prison!!! I am sooo glad, I do not have children, because if this had been my child, I would be in prison for my child’s justice!!!

1. Jean says:

Rather than “animal,” how about “monster”? Animals fon’t do what he did.

2. Mike says:

“I can not fathom how anyone, judge or jury panels could invoke life in prison for an animal who raped and murdered and innocent child, much less anyone else, who he may have come in contact with!!! ”

Well, you can thank bleeding heart liberal judges and lawyers for being so “understanding” and “sympathetic” to those who don’t even deserve to breathe another breath. Jean’s correct, animals have more respect for their young than some humans do.

1. Carolyn says:

My point was that Tammendequas like (most murderers) has an “ANIMAL INSTINCT” to savagely kill it’s prey!! Also, the LIBERAL LAWYERS AND JUDGES are elected to their positions, so we should all be more leery, when theire election time comes around…RIGHT???

3. Carolyn says:

The fact that the murder Timmendequas has gotten his EYE FOR AN EYE death sentence thrown out and was given life in prison sentence instead, is revolting for Meghan’s parents, I’m sure!!!

Comments are closed.