3 NJ Women Arrested For Stealing 380 Grave Markers, Flower Urns From Local Cemetery

CINNAMINSON, N.J. (CBS) — Three New Jersey women are behind bars for a crime that is becoming more and more common, according to police. Authorities say they stole brass markers from the graves of veterans at local cemeteries and sold the stolen markers to a scrap yard.

Authorities tell Eyewitness News the suspects needed drug money.

“You need money that bad, you have to start desecrating a grave?” said Sgt. Bill Covert with the Cinnaminson Police Department.

Covert, who is a veteran himself, said that he was shocked to learn that someone would sink that low.

Authorities say the women they arrested are responsible for stealing 380 grave markers and flower urns from local cemeteries, including St. Mary’s in Bellmawr and Lakeview Memorial Cemetery in Cinnaminson.

Police say 19-year-old Arielle Levin, 25-year-old Tosha Fugett and 27-year-old Jamie Babcock didn’t care about the meaning behind the collection, all they cared about was the cash.

All three are in county jail and have been charged with Theft and Fencing Stolen Property.

Sgt. Covert says a Philadelphia scrap dealer who paid around $1,500 for the stolen goods is the one who tipped off authorities.

Watch the video…

“He engaged them in conversation and one girl said they got the markers from Lakeview because her uncle worked there,” said Sgt. Covert. “As soon as they mentioned they came from Lakeview in Cinnaminson, he contacted Lakeview and they contacted us.”

Police say if no one comes forward to claim markers, they’ll go to local Veterans organizations.

Reported by Jericka Duncan, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

1. danniezhuo says:

I am very interested in the way you said, I will try to make their own, what you said to me a lot. Have time to look at my store, thank you!

2. amomynous says:

It takes a lot of brass…..

3. Miss Stacey says:

My grandfather, who was a POW during WWII, is buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Cinnaminson, NJ. Now I have to go check to see if you losers stole anything from his grave. You three are disrespectful, selfish idiots. I hope you get your butts kicked in jail.

4. DCA says:

I can’t believe how low some will go for a dollar. Unbelievable.

5. Lisa Szustowicz-Colella says:

What a disgrace. Pathetic excuses for human beings. I guess that slogan is correct…. “Crack is wack!”

6. workingman says:

hope they don’t get liberal judge!

7. Punk says:

This veteran cop is “floored someone would sink so low”? I wish a petty theft like this was all the cops in my area had to be “floored” by. Cinnaminson must be the safest place on earth.

8. H. Johnson says:

Kill ’em and chalk it up to thinning of the herd. We simply do not need this kind of trash. Prisons are a waste of taxpayer money…we’re spending billions to store human trash. Rehabilitation is a joke.

1. Don says:

Kill them? No no no. They should be sentenced to community service … in Afghanistan, until every last Soldier is tired of them. Then they could do community service in Iraq.

9. Jack Kennedy says:

welcome to the Obama depression

1. Rob Jergen says:

Obama did not create this “depression”. This began with your boy Bush. Are you that ignorant?

1. crisis says:

you are right, bush tare an obama make it 4 times worse…eat it

2. Lane says:

Both parties and administrations are at fault. There’s not a hairsbreadth of difference between them. The current economic crisis (which is only going to get worse) is the result of decades of failed Keynesian economic and monetary policy. Quit targeting one party or the other and start going after the failed, unconstitutional system to which both parties are beholden (and which we can largely thank for unimaginable stories like this one becoming part of American reality). Untouchables like the Federal Reserve need to be brought out of the shadows and their corruption exposed for all to see. Only then will meaningful and beneficial change come to this country.

3. NowYouKnow says:

Awh, come on man! Did Bush invent derivative contracts, short selling, the notion that people should be given a mortgage that they cannot afford, the dumbing down of public schools? Not! Those are all Liberal ideas. Do you even know what those are?

4. Robert says:

no it started before Bush. The policies of this depression were begun byt PRez Clinton, with the help of Frank,Dodd and helped by Pelosie………get it right. Bush was just a wus and let those policies go on because he wanted consenses in the house.

10. tsjones says:

Like many, I am horrified that they would desecrate the graves of our brave veterans. But the dead care little for such matters. I am MORTIFIED to think of some family coming to honor their dead loved ones and to see their family member’s gravestone desecrated in such a way. THAT is the real crime. The crime is against the living. Those who loved these persons and who hearts are broken. That’s the real evil that is being done. :(

11. criolle johnny says:

Who is BUYING the markers? If someone is stealing, someone is buying. There must be a market.

1. Tony B says:

Try reading more than the headline.

1. criolle johnny says:

I did later. I was furious and failed. My bad.

12. Mike Miller says:

Lock ’em up in a VFW veterans hall on a drunk Friday night and send in an ambulance about an hour later….

1. Anita says:

An hour? Too short..

13. heatherfeather says:

I doubt they vote, but they are certainly recipients of Democrat welfare $$.

14. Big Bear says:

I will venture a guess and say dopers. The herd needs to be culled so the rest of us don’t have to wallow in the stink.

If I had my way with people selling dope, I’d take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope…

15. sailordude says:

I hope they each get at least 20 years for grand theft and desecration of veterans graves times 380. .

16. Primetime Editorials says:

where is there funeral so i can still the darn market and dookie on it
    what a bunch of losers
    may the ghost of the headstone haunt them forever
    visit my blog

1. vkt183 says:

Oh yes, I want to read a blog run by an illiterate.

17. Jill says:

As ugly as they are evil.

18. Jim says:

These 3 don’t deserve prison, they need to be cleaned up and sent to the Army for the same duration of time as the Korean war. While in the Army they need to be stationed in every rat hole 3rd world country we have a post in. That way they will learn what sacrifice and honor mean

1. hooter says:

No Way, the military stopped taking drug addicts since Reagan…
      Those three aren’t fit to wear the uniform…

Let them sit in jail sober up, then do an hour of community service for each item stolen… Those community service hours used to assist homeless veterans

1. headlessjester says:

Agreed, after sobering up they should spend some time painting homeless vet houses or some type of service that interacts with veterans. A big part of the problem is they have no understanding or consideration for what vets have gone through. More products of inner city liberal eductation.

19. Jack says:

I have nothing to say about these criminals other than there are times when our democratic freedoms spare us the consequences that we sometimes truly deserve.

20. DigitalBob says:

Please…just give them the drugs and let them kill themselves without stealing my stuff first.

1. rufus whitman says:

those were all your grave markers??

21. Jeff says:

This and other despicable acts are the result of the left destroying the moral fabric of our society.

22. jnsesq says:

I’d suggest a sentence of 37 months, the duration of the Korean War, giving them an appropriate opportunity to reflect upon their actions.

1. headlessjester says:

The only thing on their mind will be how soon they can get out, get drugs, and carry on with what they’re doing. Doubt they could even point to Korea on a map…or are aware that there was even a war there.

23. Martin says:

This signifies more then simple theft for drugs, it clearly points out how far our country has slid into the abyss. Where do you suppose this metal is going?.. if you guessed china your probably right. Young Americans are desecrating the graves of America Veterans to get metal that is then sold to our greatest enemy so they can build garbage from the metal and sell it back to us.. our country is dying and these are the gasps.

1. ConcernedCitizen says:

Well said!

24. Liv says:

Simply put, let the lose their citizenship. Send them to any southern country and let them go.

25. Doug S. (A Vet) says:

There is no greater love than a man who lays his life down for his friends. This type of desecration cheapens that sacrifice and in turn damages our society. These things should be set outside of our society, and forgotten about.

26. larryg1 says:

Send them to the Aleutians. Let them grave rob up there with impunity.

27. Jim K says:

Some where in the US alligators are short of food, maybe these three could help alleviate the shortage to some small degree.

1. George W. Axl Rosebush says:

The alligators would need some rehab after consuming the doper pukes.

28. B.H. says:

Daniel Ortega, USMC (ret)

I know you have fun trolling veterans who feel strongly about this issue. I used some common tools, and pulled your IP address in less than 5 minutes.

June 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Daniel Ortega,

No where did I disrespect any veterans or service personal. Your comments against me are completely mean and unfounded. The position that I’m taking is that death for stealing or desecrating graves is not supported by the United States Of America’s laws. I also believe that a service member or former service member should not promote in writing or speech actions that are against the law. A service member or former service member should not write the words “If I felt strongly enough, I could have your name and adress within the week. I suggest you go troll on some other topic, with non veterans sonny. Run along and play while you can boy.”
    You are writing an intimidating and disrespectful message to me while representing yourself as a retired Marine. You are disgracing yourself and your service. You should be ashamed of yourself.

1. Daniel Ortega, USMC (ret) says:

I have no use for political correctness and self righteous preaching son. Most combat vets don’t.

Your words are empty shells, and you are an empty headed indoctrinated shell of a man. Your pity for drug users and your pity and excuses for petty thieves who desecrate the graves of veterans says much about you.

Your preaching has changed no ones minds in these posts, only earned you ridicule and despise.

I suggest 3 or 4 combat deployments to Afghanistan to see if you can find your soul and your manhood.

1. speedstan says:

Thumbs up for Mr. Ortega from an Air Force vet. These women are the lowest form of skank and deserve no sympathy whatsoever…

2. Midas says:

Daniel Ortega, I never served, but I have nothing but the deepest respect and admiration for those of you who have.

Thank you.

And you’re spot-on in your reply to BH, sir. Well-said.

2. larryg1 says:

I apologize to Daniel Ortega. Comment intended for B.H.

29. Charles U. Farley says:

That should have been FUGLY. My keyboard is dyslexic.

1. Anonymous says:

LOL Sure. Blame the keyboard. LOL (just kidding with you)

30. J.T. says:

This was probably not there first heist. However, it does seem they made a GRAVE mistake robbing the cemetery.

31. KevinJ says:

I personally have nothing against the death penalty and think we probably need it to use it a bit more often. But theft, even of somehitng sacred as these markers are, is a far cry from rape, murder, etc. I think I have a better idea than the death penalty for these Perpetrators. How about mandatory military service and a couple of tours in Afghanistan in a hot zone. Or maybe make them work in a Veterans hospital. Or have them attend 380 military funerals. The death penalty may be quick and satisfying for those just wanting to punish, but teaching them respect for our military and society may be a greater good served.

1. DaveR says:

Don’t suggest military service as a punishment. I understand your point, but I am a career military man, and to suggest my life’s work could be used as punishment is insulting.

32. peter mayer says:

Dear BH: Why don’t we send these poor misunderstood people to your home, so you may rehab them .Sgt USMC. p.s. I’m captain of our honor guard anyone messes with my veterans graves wishes to god the cops caught them.

1. B.H. says:

Wow, so you admit to intending breaking the law if anyone messes with your veterans graves. I thought you took an OATH to uphold the constitution of our country.I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
      I hope you re-evaluate your comment and become the representative of our country that you promised to be.

2. B.H says:

As a captain of an honor guard you have a responsibility to uphold the constitution of the United States Of America and to be an example to those you lead. Your statement “p.s. I’m captain of our honor guard anyone messes with my veterans graves wishes to god the cops caught them.” seems to support vigilante justice, and is a statement that should never have been written or said by a Sgt of the USMC. I do believe that 19, 25, and 27 year old people can be rehabilitated from stealing for drugs. I also believe that you should resign from any command function you hold until you can be trusted to fulfill your oath.

1. Bite Me says:

I will do it for him. I hold no post. When I am done witht he thieves I will look for you next.

2. B.H. says:

REPLY TO
        Bite Me

June 6, 2011 at 9:43 pm

You sir, are completely unamerican. You claim to be willing to hurt or kill someone for stealing and then you’re going to look for me next just for exercising my right to free speech. Are you communist or are you just a traitor to the United States Of America?

3. Daniel Ortega, USMC (ret) says:

4. CRNZERO says:

Yea, I call BS on the IP. Also I know the name and address is BS. You need a court subpoena to get name or address from IP address. Since you are not an administrator of this site, IP address story is BS. Your chances of getting a subpoena are not going to happen over a comment. The closest thing you could get from an IP address is a general city/state location. Therefore if you want to tell little stories try to get your stuff together beforehand. Oh yea by the way they should have molten brass poured down their throats for being such dirtbags.

5. I P Standing says:

Of course ..the prisons are full of them re habbing,,takila and nowesha will be fine.

33. Jim Wilmer says:

Kids and adults have either been drinking at cementaries, or damaging graves for yrs. But this is theift with intent. Not just a $100.00 but $1,500.00; for the amount stolen there should be a sentence of a couple yrs. or more. The emotional or patroitic argument doesn’t matter. Some people have no connection with anyone but their immediate circle of people. It is a shame though and shocking!!!

34. solo_poke says:

Where are the big mouths when it comes to bankers stealing everything people ever worked for? What a bunch of coward hypocrites who can only go after the weak and defesenless , because after all theywon’t fight back.

35. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Looks like we’ll need to start electrifying brass grave markers. Just when you thought this once-great country couldn’t possibly go any further down the toilet. Freakin’ unbelievable.

36. Honorable Texan says:

Your comment makes no sense.

37. Mike-N-TN says:

They will get off in exchange for their solemn pledge to vote for Obama in 2012.
    Hell, he will even provide GSA’s to haul off their next load of loot!

38. John says:

Yaknow, I almost fell over when I heard that women did this!
    I thought women were supposed to be nurturing creatures !?!?!

My Dad had his marker stolen off his grave twice at Oddfellows Cemetary in Burlington within the last ten years and never had the original solid bronze marker given back even though the culprit was caught and the markers confiscated in by police for evidence for the court case but they were never given back to all the original families who complained about the theft. Replacements were given but not the same quality bronze that the first one was. They were made of a cheap flimsey metal.
    It’s sad that some people have no respect for a veterans grave.
    Maybe we’ll have to bring back public flogging, dunking, and the stockades.
    For some people, there is no other way to learn

39. Ghost of 1779 says:

I fought at the Battle of Trenton as the musket balls rattled like hail against the fence I crouched behind. I ran like a scared Hollander. Forgive them, say I.

40. Hank Warren says:

Out-of-control crime, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. proudnot2bliberal says:

finally a comment from loons from ron paul the king of loons. his son rand is smart to distance himself from this nut

1. Lane says:

How exactly is one a “loon” for standing on principle, upholding his oath of office, and expounding sound economic ideas from the only school of economics (the Austrian school) that has accurately predicted the booms/busts of which we, the people, are the chief victims? Our country’s problems are more fundamental than partisan politics can solve. If Ron Paul is the only man who will put himself out there to say the things that need to be said (at risk of looking like a “kook” on the “fringe”) then God help him. He has my support. The other 500+ members of Congress are the real “loons” for imagining that this country can continue on its current course with “politics as usual” for another generation.

2. Shawn says:

Proudnot2bliberal – We’ll assume, based on your grammer, that you aren’t a rocket scientist???

41. B.H. says:

Several commenters are suggesting a death sentence for stealing from a grave. How do you figure that 19, 25 and 27 year old girls deserve to die for stealing brass grave markers? Would you same people murder someone for stealing your automobile’s hood ornament?

1. Ruck says:

In a word, yes. Particularly in this case as I am a vet.

1. B.H. says:

The girls intention was not to dishonor veteran’s graves, their intention was to get money for drugs. Perhaps your veteran service has left you with with ;little value for human life.

2. Derek Mohn says:

I don’t agree with a death sentence, but these are hardly hood ornaments.

3. Kyon says:

Today is the anniversary of D-day; the men who died there disserve more than “hood ornaments”. The mere fact that your tiny worthless mind would even conger up the concept makes you as low as the skanks that perpetrated this crime. It is a crime against our country and our veterans – the people who have died for your freedom. Do you see the curb when you look up from the gutter that you crawl in?

Diogenes of NJ

1. B.H. says:

I don’t crawl in gutters and I have the utmost respect for my family members who serve, my family members who have served, and all who have served in our armed forces My mind is neither tiny nor worthless. Your insults show part of what you are.
        Stealing and desecrating graves does not deserve death and the criminals who did it have many possible years of productive life in front of them. Young drug addicted people do many things that are unacceptable, however it doesn’t mean they deserve to die.

4. LexTerrae says:

Depravity, not matter the age of the depraved, diminishes the society.

5. jes2 says:

You are a chunk of human waste. That’s all that needs to be said.

6. S.M. says:

“19, 25 and 27 year old girls” These are not girls, they are women. As a reasonable civilized person I would have to say that your comment here is sexist! There is no jurisdiction in the country that would try these women as juveniles. They are adults and as such deserve the appropriate adult punishment. Desecrating the graves of veterans is about as low as one can get. The punishment should be severe.

After Obama was elected I stocked up on ammo and componenets to make more ammo. At this point I have more than I really need. I would be glad to donate a few hundred rounds so that these women could be used for target practice by a veterans group for some good wholesome payback. A lot of these guys got spit on when they came home after doing their patriotic duty. I can’t think of three more deserving recipients.

7. speedstan says:

[The girls intention was not to dishonor veteran’s graves, their intention was to get money for drugs.]

Oh, so that makes it OK, right?

Pathetic liberals make excuses for the worst behavior. Sorry, but these amoral skank who only care about their next high deserve sympathy from nobody…

8. Anita says:

Perhaps we should put them in a rehab? Pay good money so they can come out and do drugs? Perhaps strike up a friendship with Lindsay Lohan!

42. Mark Adams says:

These women need to be sent to prison for a long time and while they’re there, they can make veteran markers!

43. otis says:

Knowing NJ, how much ya wanna bet these 3 wastes of oxygen get guest appearances on Jersey Shore??

1. Derek Mohn says:

Not surprising. Enjoy a life in and out of prison.

44. DARRELL says:

45. Derek Elliot says:

15 to 20

46. Maureen says:

This has NOTHING to do with a political party…you FOOL! Nor is drug addiction an excuse or justification for such DEPLORABLE behavior!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!

47. Ray says:

Summary execution is too good for these skanks. Lets take a page from the ‘religion of peace” and stone them to death

48. Reagans Ghost says:

I’m speechless: what possible sentence and/or “rehabilitation” could any of these creeps possible be given that reflects the crime?

49. Bill G(not Gates) says:

God is dead, there are no laws of right and wrong.
    Why is anyone surprised? These are the unintended consequences of a society where every person is their own God. It’s going to get a lot worse before it’s over.

50. JS says:

It’s a jersy thing!

51. amplitude jones says:

shoot the greedy pigs. They are just democrats anyway, not like a valuable species or something.

52. Sean says:

No respect or clue what these men and women went threw during thier service this is the reason why this country is going down the tubes no respect for nothing … we have a lot to be ashamed of but.. this is a disgrace to NJ residents. Long jail term should be required .

53. JOe Dutra says:

54. Jones says:

Up against a wall – give them a quick volley. Fast, humane, cheap, and yes, morally appropriate.

Drug addiction is one thing, and I do sympathize. However, there are drug addicts who would never dream of doing this. I hope they get medical treatment & turn their lives around.

Comments are closed.