Man Dies After Falling Down Elevator Shaft During Birthday Celebration In Center City

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A 25-year old man has died after falling into an elevator shaft in Center City late Friday night.

The unidentified man was reportedly celebrating his 25th birthday Friday night when he tried to take the elevator from his 5th story apartment to meet friends on the first floor of 701 Chestnut Street.

Police say at 11:41 p.m. he stepped into and fell down an elevator shaft of an old style, gated elevator. Police say the lights were out and he didn’t realize the elevator wasn’t on his floor.

Watch the video…

Firefighters were called to free the man. He was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital where he was pronounced dead a little after 1 a.m.

It is unclear whether alcohol or any foul play was involved. Police and L & I are investigating this incident.

Reported by Tim Jimenez, KYW Newsradio

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Meg says:

You are all horrendous for making fun of this. He was my good friend and I can’t believe you would joke about the death of a 25 year old man.

1. Erin says:

Meg, my prayers go out to you, his friends, and family.

2. Jimmie Hoohah says:

Like a Three Stooges short film or the Life Alert old woman falling down a flight of stairs, this is very funny!

3. Tom says:

Beer Pong and Elevator Shaft not a good combination!

4. dmac6419 says:

if he wasn’t drunk he wouldn’t have fell down the elevator,lawyer can file suit and hope for a settlement but he don’t want to go to court because there is a 50-50 chance of winning and if they do win because of a sympathetic jury,they won’t win on appeal,so if you get drunk and cause your death you have to take some responsibility and that’s the law

5. Guess Who says:

Someone got the shaft.

6. harvey williams says:

careful, that first step is a dooozy!

7. Nancy53410 says:

WHY WERE THE LIGHTS NOT ON???????????????????

8. Nancy Campanelli says:

This is horrible. WHY would the elevator doors open if the elevator were not on his floor???????? Isn’t that a safety feature? I had NO idea that this could happen. This must be corrected! Such a waste of a young life. NOT a very nice birthday gift. My sympathy goes out to his family & friends. Definitely an unnecessary tragedy.

1. johan says:

Every once in a while a piece of equipment such as an elevator has a mechanical or electrical failure. For this reason I always look to make sure the elevator is there before I enter. My sympathies to the family.

Comments are closed.