KYW Traffic Reporter Charles Fricker, aka Chuck Williams, Murdered

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A KYW Newsradio traffic reporter has died — murdered, police say, in a random attack over the weekend in Olney.

His family knew him as Charles Fricker, but the rest of us heard who his voice and knew that’s Chuck Williams.

KYW traffic reporter Chuck Williams makes one of his final broadcasts on KYW Newsradio 1060 prior to his untimely death …

The 52-year-old from Waterford, Camden County was doing another of his jobs — selling insurance and checking on clients — around 3rd and Tabor mid-morning on Saturday, when cops say a guy on a bike rode up and fatally stabbed him with a 13-inch knife — all to try to steal a couple bucks.

Police found Eric Radcliff, a 22-year-old with a long rap sheet, hiding in a nearby home. Cops fired a Taser, but say he kept coming at them with the blade, so they put an end to things with a bullet to the chest.

Charlie Weirauch, Fricker’s boss at Metro Networks, says, “I liked the work he did. He was a really good man.”

A man police say tried to fight off his attacker. A man remembered as a hard-working father — and who saved us from many a traffic jam.

“…and I’m Chuck Williams in the KYW Newsradio 24-hour traffic center.”

Reported by Ian Bush, KYW Newsradio 1060

Top Content On CBSPhilly

More from Ian Bush
Comments

1. mike says:

why have two names? all the way more popular newpeople on TV use their real names.

2. state engineer says:

philadelphia is just no place to live it is only for killer so please stay away…..

3. Adams family says:

We have been a client of Bills for 8 years, we had developed a good relationship which felt more like friendship. Sylvester (my husband) & I misses him deeply.

From the Adams Family!!!!

4. paul w says:

Just a simple good man.

Paul W.

5. Ken Schaffer says:

Chuck was a true gentleman and always enthusiastic and happy to be around. Such a tragedy to hear this sad news. I have fond memories of Chuck, working in an adjoining studio on Sunday evenings, Chuck on the Shark and me on Kool 98.3. Chuck LOVED radio and would pop into my studio every 10 minutes to check in and chat about what he was doing on-air and on the road as an insurance salesman and disc jockey for events. He had an indescribable passion for all that he did and such a positive energy. Although I do not know his family, my thoughts and prayers go out to them. RIP Chuck, you will surely be missed by many!

6. Bill says:

I agree with jaguar. From all I read, he was a well loved father, traffic reported, DJ and insurance salesman. My heart felt condolences go out to his family and co-workers. RIP Chuck! We’ll miss you and your voice on KYW.

7. Hater says:

“Your comment is awaiting moderation”. Why? I’m holding back, really.

8. Dotti says:

:-(…..

9. jaguar says:

i never knew the man but i knew the voice yes it was nice to hear his voice when you was stuck in a traffic jam, or trying to prevent being in one… it’s so sad that honest people trying to make a honest dollar in this world and some punk too lazy to get a job wants to take what you work hard for ……….MAY YOU, MR. WILLIAMS “RIP” gone too soon……

10. Char T says: