Mayor Nutter Puts Public Pools And Recreational Centers On City No Smoking List

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – First, it was bars and restaurants; now, pools, playgrounds, and recreational centers are being put in Philadelphia’s no-smoking zone.

Saying secondhand smoke is a real drag for kids and others who use the city’s outdoor and indoor recreational facilities, Mayor Nutter’s executive order makes those places cigarette-free — just in time for summer.

“Just seems like every part of the world is saying no don’t smoke here,” says Sharmin Knight, taking a smoke break outside of her Center City office.

The city recently added public recreation centers, playgrounds, and pools to the list of places you cannot smoke. The goal is to keep kids away from second hand smoke and prevent them from seeing adults smoking.

“Get smoke away from children and people in parks,” says Brent Nitz, himself a smoker. “They don’t need it.”

Watch the video…

Youth smoking is a major problem in Philadelphia. A Department of Public Health study conducted last year found 1 in 14 high school students smokes every day. And half of high school students have experimented with smoking. Last year, the city issued more than 2,500 tickets to tobacco stores selling to underage teens.

Giridhar Mallya is director of planning and policy for the Philadelphia Department of Public Health.

“When kids see adults smoking, they tend to perceive it as safer and maybe more acceptable than it actually is. That’s one of the main reasons we want to put this policy in place.”

To get the word out, he says they’re posting signs and handing out wallet cards at the more than 200 pools, rec centers, ball fields, and even parking lots at those places. And because they’re making it harder to smoke, he says they’re making it easier to quit — with more free counseling and nicotine replacement therapy available through

Reported by Ian Bush, KYW Newsradio; Oren Lieberman, CBS 3

Top Content On CBSPhilly

1. Jim says:

Ban all Cars & Planes – THEN come ask me to quit smoking- You Worthless hypocrites- Oh & Ban Wild fires & Volcanoes while your at it These put out more pollutants than me & my Cigs. You think you can discriminate against me because Ii smoke? Are you prepared to fight me to the death over MY RIGHTS???????

2. Bob says:

Blumberg can kiss my a++. Thankfully, I don’t live in his rat infested city which has more air pollution than any cigarette causes. Bunch of PRUDES!!!

3. retphxfire says:

Love to know the thought process where officials ban smoking in public places, but allow, with great pride, loaded weapons anywhere. I’m a passionate supporter of the Constitution, but what has carrying a loaded weapon into a bar so you can feel safe while getting drunk/rowdy/angry, losing any impulse control, have to do with a well-order militia??? If its to protect other patrons, millions of us give you absolution so you can leave the gun somewhere else. I also don’t think you need to bring it to a public park with kids….and drinking…

1. retphxfire says:

P.S. I can walk away from a smoker….

4. GuestofPA says:

Anyone ever heard of the electronic cigarette?? You can smoke these anywhere because they are not harmful to those around you. You should try the e-cigarette if you want to smoke in public places where smoking a regular cigarette is banned. E-cigs give you the nicotine you want without the smell or harmful second hand smoke. I am using one now to try and quit and I like it very much.

5. JENNY says:

1. Doug says:

Jenny have you ever smoked? How long and don’t lie?

2. Doug says:

First I don’t have any problem with them banning smoking at these places. but your comment is just plain ridiculous!! Some of the greatest minds in the world, smoked, drank, and several other shall we say questionable things. Do use a favor and think before you speak. I quit drinking over 12 years ago and quiting smoking is a hundred times harder.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.
      Abraham Lincoln

1. Nostromo says:

Smoking’s been shown to be self-medication for depression. In that vein, high-functioning bi-polar types are smokers. The ‘habit’ goes hand-in-hand with the affliction of depression and bi-polar disorder.

3. Julia says:

What an idiotic comment. People who smoke are much, much more than smokers and many of these same people make huge contributions to society. Go crawl back under your rock..

6. Donna Sayles-Corbin says:

I say we just ban the kids in public…..Why not, they scream and throw hissy fits in Walmart ALL the time and their parents don’t do anything to stop them. If I can’t smoke in public, then kids can’t talk, scream, cry, make any noise in public… Fair trade. Let’s think about the older folks that don’t want to hear that bullsh!t.

7. liarbarry says:

I saw a man hit his wife in public, I will become a wife beater.
    I saw my dad drink a beer, I will become an alcoholic.
    I saw a man kiss a child, I will become a pedophile.
    I saw my dad spank my sister, I will become a child abuser.
    I saw my mom take a prescription drug, I will become a drug addict.
    I saw a boy steal a candy bar, I will become a thief.
    I saw a woman get run over by a car, I will become a murderer.

1. steveo says:

I live in America, I will have no personal responsibility for my decision making.

8. M says:

I some an occasional cigar at home in my back yard or on the porch. No one is within distance of the second hand smoke. I could care less if smoking is banned completely in public. However, what will the city ban next once it finishes with smoking? Perfume? Loud music? Fast food? But we miss the big picture. Philadelphia is one of the most polluted cities in the US. Maybe Mayor Nutter should do something about the toxic fumes produced by SEPTA buses, not to mention all of the polluted land that is listed on the EPA’s website. This is just more “feel good” politics. This city gets worse and worse with each passing year.

1. Guess Who says:

What the matter with banning noise? These morons do it intentionally as an act of aggression.

9. nikki says:

I understand about not having kids around cig smoke but how can they try to tell us what to do? I smoke and Im also a mother and I dont smoke around my child but u cant hide them from it

1. nikki says:

I understand about not having kids around cig smoke but how can they try to tell us where we can go to smoke ? I smoke and Im also a mother and I dont smoke around my child but u cant hide them from it. and even if im out somewhere and i smoke I keep the smoke away from anyone

2. nikki says:

next thing u know they will try to stop someone from smoking in their own home of anything else thats bad for ya.

10. Mary Jane Hurley Brant says:

I think Mayor Nutter is fabulous for doing this. Let’s think about our children and their world first.

It’s not that hard to stop smoking. I stopped in my 20’s and took up walking instead and never looked back.

Let’s do it for the kids!
    Mary Jane Hurley Brant

1. liarbarry says:

Why is it that every time some one wants to destroy more of our rights and liberties, it’s always “for the kids” That argument has been used to death.

While we’re at it why don’t we just ban obese people from the public? I mean after all, what message is that sending to “the children” if they see that.

1. bottomline says:

Good question: When Clinton was president the anti smokers wanted Clinton to support their cause. He was afraid he’d lose the votes from the southern states. The anti smoke group had a study done which concluded, if children were included in the plea, he would probably increase his voting popularity. Since then everybody is saving children, a very profitable “non-profit” bonanza.

2. Concerned American says:

You’re an idiot, i had a close friend who bashed me for smoking and try to make me jog, and workout with him as an alternative. He was hit and killed by a car last year and as tragic as it was i’m still a smoker and still alive. We’re all gooing to die when we’re supposed to die. This is absolutely a perfect example of discrimination. As long as we’re not blowing up the kids noses then there are no issues. Most veteran smokers keep it to themselves and are not rude about their habits. This is suppose to be America and freedom is a load of BulS**T when it comes to all these rules and taxes. Ban breastfeeding, alcohol, let’s raise the tax on doughnuts, since 53% of American’s are FatA**es at least only 9% have lung cancer. STOP THE DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Gilbert says:

how about banning smoking EVERYWHERE in public and all private locations where children are likely to be.

12. bottomline says:

Social engineering continues. I guess the end goal is a country of healthy, obedient robots.
    I guess it would be beyond the city to tell those children that second hand smoke isn’t a health threat, their discomfort has been created by the brainwashing from the control freaks.

13. Harry Clark says:

It is against the law to gun down people outside a night club and that happens. Who is going to enforce this and what punishment is there?

1. Nostromo says:

Ironic, isn’t it?

2. omegarising says:

The TSA will enforce it. You will receive a good groping “sexual assault” along with a couple of radiated naked snapshots of yourself before you are able to enter the park. Punishment will be sever and swift. If need be, we will release a rapist from prison to make room for you.

14. Cathy Heenan DePasquale says:

1. Gordon Moore says:

Not to mention that 2nd hand smoke is a toxin and causes instant cell damage! I mean the smell in your clothes is one thing, but this is a health hazard. Second hand smoke breathed in = cell damage. Understand it.

1. JM says:

Good Gordon maybe you will loose all that cell’s in your head! we don’t need you as a citizen in this country at all!

2. omegarising says:

Hey intellectual giant. Do you think second hand smoke outside begins to even compare to the toxic fumes given off by vehicles alone. Not to mention what comes out of factories. It’s miniscule by comparison. Of course I wouldn’t expect a state run media indoctrinated person like yourself to understand such a thing.

Comments are closed.