Set Your Watch: Christian Radio Broadcaster Predicts The Rapture, At 6 PM Saturday

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – You may have seen the billboards claiming that the end of the world arrives tomorrow.

“The Bible is a calendar.”

And it’s a calendar decoded by Christian radio broadcaster Harold Camping and adopted by some others. Boiled way down, it’s the idea that Saturday is 7,000 years since Noah and the Flood, bringing the Rapture of the faithful and starting a five month slide to doomsday for everybody else.

“7,000 years to get into the ark and the ark represented the safety of being in the Lord Jesus Christ,” Camping said.

Camping has picked other dates before and obviously been wrong, and many Christians would say picking a date is wrong.

For a full explanation, visit http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/outreach/tracts/may21/

Share Your Thoughts: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/05/20/share-your-thoughts-judgement-day/

Reported by John Ostapkovich, KYW Newsradio

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. amanda says:

My friends neighbor has judgement day signs in her yard dated today. I can’t wait to get up in the morning so I can dance on her lawn butt naked. That will teach her a lesson. LOL

2. grumpy says:

I’m starting to understand why some countries have a low tolerance for religion.

3. Donna says:

This is forest and anyone who believes this is feeding a unstable sociey. Everyone needs to believe something but use it to good use and not waste your time believng into negativity. Believe in live and living and stop all this nonense. The media needs not waste all the air time on crazy individuals. Put the energy into helping the sick needy and elderly. And try to believe in today.

4. Just Asking says:

Does this mean I don’t have to pay this months bills?

5. bottomline says:

This man qualifies for a job with the EPA.

6. Oscar Gomez says:

This isn’t news!

Why are you providing “free” advertising, to help promote Camping’s radio station?
    I have a businees; from my calculations the world should of ended last year, can i give you my information so I also get free advertising for my business?

7. Denise says:

Harold Camping is the Marshall Applewhite of the New Millennium. By giving space to his story of infinite doom I wonder if the media has considered the toll they may be taking on the fringe folks people who may need mental help and believe the news media and professional wrestling are real entities. It is now 03:26 AM on the 21st in Sydney Australia. Surely the Australians would feel Gods wrath by now. On Sunday, Camping will go on his show and “Thank” the faithful for their prayers have once again saved the world. It appears oldest con job in the world have filled his coffers for another 2 years. Until the “Next” end of the world story like: the end of the Mayan Calendar, or the Harmonic Convergence. The News Media, which is becoming less responsible and more desperate for viewers/readers pushes this kind of story because it’s cheap, as all the necessary pieces are there, so that makes this story very easy to cover. Any News Room Editor would be stupid in this day and age not to run this stupid annual story.
    Demand more from your News.

1. Mark says:

Thank you, Denise! Well said.

8. Donna Lauria says:

Taxpayer550: Are you a part-time minister? You “kind of doubt” that the rapture will happen on the 21st. Are you “kinda getting ready” just in case???

LOVE Adam’s comments, above.

I am Catholic. I believe in the Lord. Sometimes when things don’t go they way I want them to, my faith waivers. It shouldn’t and I know that. PEOPLE: Live your lives by doing the right thing every day. Push negativity away – I KNOW it’s hard, but try. Give someone a lift in the pouring rain. Lend someone $5.00 and don’t expect it back. Help an elderly person. Take a homeless animal to a local shelter. DO NICE THINGS and nice things come back to you. Kindness goes a LONG LONG WAY and it comes back to you TEN FOLD. I’ve seen it. I’ve had it happen to me. THAT IS ALL HE ASKS OF US. If we’re not here by Sunday – then it was meant to be. If we are – then CAMPING IS AN IDIOT.

9. Chris says:

Great , I wont see Oprah’s last episidoe.

10. Daniel says:

King James Bible

Matthew 24:36 “But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.”

Tomorrow is not judgment day. The world will still be here on May 22nd.

11. chuck says:

If you don’t see me at work monday,then you know God has a sense of humor!

12. Peter says:

Will those who plan on ascending into heaven as part of the rapture please leave your car unlocked and they keys in the ignition for the rest of us?

13. khary says:

My class is starting a project about the news got any pointers

14. JP says:

Total publicity stunt, and the media has bought into it hook, line and sinker. What a waste of time.

15. DENISE GRAY says:

IF YOU TRULY KNEW THE BIBLE YOU KNOW THAT IT SAYS NOONE KNOWS THE DAY OR THE HOUR AND IT WILL COME AS A THIEF IN THE NIGHT.ASK YOURSELF DOES A THIEF LET YOU KNOW HE IS COMING?NO!!!!! IF YOU LED A POSITIVE LIFESTYLE AND FOLLOWED JESUS FOOTSTEPS CLOSELY YOU WOULDN’T HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

16. Bill S. says:

To all those the got sucked in by Heretic Harold “AGAIN” and believe without a doubt that this will happen please leave all of you valuables to me or donate to a worthy cause because you won’t need then anymore. Will all of those that bought into this heresy and that forsook their church as per heretic Harold be looking for a church again because another day came and went as they have since God’s creation started. What are all those that are being deceived going to do on Sunday? Just maybe you should seek the real truth in the Bible and do what God says to do and not put your faith in a man that has been wrong on this twice before. Matt 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. So heretic Harold says God’s a liar? Because it says” ONLY THE FATHER KNOWS”

17. sTEVE says:

U R CUCKOO

18. adam says:

I wonder if the radio contract extends beyond Sunday – just to be on the safe side – and if so what do you talk about on Monday?

1. Amanda Staszak says:

The radio broadcast will not exist anymore. He actually retired last night I was told. Guess he is taking proactive measures to drop off of the face of the earth when we all wake up Sunday morning.

19. Taxpayer550 says:

I kind of doubt that the rapture will take place on May 21st, but it is a good idea to be ready when Christ does rapture His church. Be ready for Christ’s return. Confess that you’re a sinner. Ask God for forgiveness. Accept the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus as the payment for your sin, past, present, and future – and accept Christ into your heart. Become a new creature in Christ, today!

Acts 2:21 “And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

1. coeurbear says: