Pa. State Police Say Near-Midnight ‘Amber Alert’ Was Right Thing in Skyler Kauffman Case

SOUDERTON, Pa. (CBS) – An “Amber Alert” for nine-year-old Skyler Kauffman was put out about 3½ hours she was reported missing to Souderton police.

Responding to criticism that a more timely alert might have saved the girl’s life (see related story), Pennsylvania state police said today that they followed all the “objective criteria” the governs triggering of such alerts.

Family members last saw Skyler Kauffman around 5pm Monday. She didn’t show up for dinner an hour later, and by about 7:15pm they called Souderton police.  That touched off the local investigation.

Sgt. Anthony Manetta, Amber Alert coordinator for the Pennsylvania  State Police, says that at about the same time, his agency ran down the criteria and analyzed other factors to determine whether to activate an Amber Alert.

Even though a local detective spotted what turned out to be the suspect with blood on his shoes, Manetta says, they issued an alert at 11:48pm Monday night since they had not at that point found the child’s body.

“We issued the Amber Alert ahead of time, knowing certain information ahead of time, that the child may have been assaulted, but we didn’t know to what extent,” Sgt. Manetta said today.

He says that despite finding blood and clothing in the apartment complex, there could have been a second suspect with her, or, after being assaulted, the victim could have been dumped and left alive at another location.

Just minutes after the Amber Alert was activated, a detective found her body in a nearby dumpster.

Reported by Steve Tawa, KYW Newsradio 1060

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. NINA says:

I BELIEVE SHELLY IS RIGHT, BUT I FEEL HIS FIANCE SHOULD SERVE TIME AS WELL. SHE WAS THERE HEARING THESE SCREAMS AND DIDN’T REPORT IT TO THE POLICE OR KNOCK ON A NEIGHBORS DOOR TO INVESTIGATE. SHE HAD TO KNOW THIS MAN WAS CREEPY, I MEAN LOOK AT HIM. HOPEFULLY WE AS PARENTS CAN LEARN FROM THIS. FOCUS ON THE WHOLE DANGER STRANGER LIKE WHAT WE WERE TAUGHT AS CHILDREN.

2. SHELLY says:

WE SHOULDN’T POINT BLAME ON THE PARENT OR THE POLICE. THE BLAME GOES TO THE KILLER. HE IS RESPONSIBLE. WE COULD ALL SIT HERE AND THINK OF WHAT COULD OF BEEN PREVENTED. TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS, HE HAD A MOTIVE AND HE PURSUED IT. WE ALL TRY TO LEAN TOWARDS GOD TOWARDS THESE TRAGEDYS, WHERE IS HE WHEN HE’S NEEDED. I MEAN SERIOUSLY PEOPLE ARE SAYING SHE’S IN THE ARMS OF GOD, WHEN SHE SHOULD BE IN HER MOTHERS ARMS. IT WASNS’T LIKE SHE WAS ILL, SHE WAS A HEALTHY 9 YEAR OLD THAT DIDN’T HAVE A CHANCE TO GO TO SCHOOL DANCES, GRADUATE WITH HER CLASS, DATE, GET MARRIED AND HAVE CHILDREN OF HER OWN. HER LIFE WAS TAKEN BY A MONSTER. BEING A PARENT MYSELF I COULDN’T EVEN IMAGINE. I LIVE FOR MY CHILDREN. THEY ARE MY LIFE. MY BLESSINGS GO OUT TO ALL SKYLARS FAMILY AND FRIENDS. REST IN PEACE SKYLAR.

1. novigilanty says:

Agree the man is to blame, duseased mind. I will say there was some bad parenting going on there and the family should look at thier own accountabilty.
      you cannot judge on the speculation you do not know the facts.

1. SHELLY says:

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN. DESPITE WHAT THE FACTS ARE. THAT LITTLE GIRL DID NOT DESERVE WHAT HAPPENED. SHE WAS PUTTING HER BIKE AWAY IN THE BASEMENT , WHEN THAT MONSTER ATTACKED HER. IT COULD OF HAPPENED TO ANY OF OUR CHILDREN. SHE WAS AN INNOCENT CHILD WHO DOESN’T THINK OF CONSEQUENCES. THAT COMES WITH AGE.

3. dmac says:

Blame the mother for not supervising her daughter,if you people need to blame somebody

4. Monique says:

This poor beautiful little baby. Ugh I just can’t get over this. It hurts my heart dearly to know the limited info about wat happened to her. I couldn’t take the full truth of the matter. May God keep her close in a loving embrace. And bless the hearts of those who loved her so much!!!!

5. sad says:

Its easy to blame the police for situations like this. Blame yourselves. THE PEOPLE are the ones who have twisted the justice system to serve the lawless. The police are powerless and the criminals know it. The police should have been able to do something a week ago when he restrained the girls in his apartment. Her blood is on the hands of all who think criminals have rights too. Rights without responsibility lead to situations like this. Great job people. Thank you police who keep trying in vain.

6. sickening says:

I’d like to know more about the girlfriend of this piece of trash. She doesn’t seem much better than he is, hearing a little child scream like she did and do nothing but sit on her presumably big fat ass. I hope little Skylar’s screams haunt her and leave her sleepless for the rest of her life. Unless she had a part in turning the boyfriend in, she’s just as uselss to this earth as he is. I have a ten year old girl and this is my biggest fear in life. When I imagine my own child in Skylar’s shoes, I can’t even breathe. My sincere thoughts are with the parents of Skylar as they suffer this unimaginable tragedy.

1. sickening says:

Sorry… Skyler. I spelled her name wrong :(.

Comments are closed.