Mother Encourages Son To Fight Bully

BALTIMORE (CBS) — Shocking video of a mother in Baltimore encouraging her son to fight off bullies has been released. In the video, the mother can be seen shouting obscenities at her son in an attempt to make him mad and fight his tormentors.

Eyewitness News showed this video to several people in Center City to get their reactions.

What do you think? Leave your comments below …

Watch the video…

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Big Ron says:

Bravo ! Mother of the Year. I can’t believe how Ass Backwards this Society is becoming. she is teaching him to “stand up for himself”, for the rest of his life. Or should he grow up and let everyone walk all over him ? Or perhaps be on an Airplane, and let some Terrorist slap him around ? And the New Media goes right along with whatever some “unknown” PC Freaks want to preach. No one is teaching him Violence. That would be taking him out to beat on someone for no good reason, maybe even with a weapon, for no reason. Thats Violence. Is he supposed to grow up and be some kind of Wimp ? Is that what Americans are, no. The same rule for Countries and Armies goes for People too.

2. Bill Turner says:

I agree with the mom. I was bullied for 2 years in junior high. They took my lunch money every day and I got fit in the face and other areas several times during those years. That was 44 years ago and I’m still bothered by it. I still fantasize about fighting back to this day. I never told my parents about it.

3. GC says:

I think the mom came on a little strong but I agree in the concept of standing up and fighting back. My father was very calm and told me if you come home crying or bleeding the other kid better be in the same shape. As a child who was under sized I was bullied a number of times, I learned to defend myself and to kick the S*** out of those attacking me. A funny thing happens after a few bullies go home with bloody lips No More Bullies! Move forward 35 years I saw the beginning of my son being bullied and immediately confronted the father relayed my story to him and promised him if the actions continued his son would face my son and I would come to visit the father :-) situation avoided!

4. JSD says:

As we say in the South: “That boy (the bully) is one good ass-whipping away from being a nice guy.”

5. Robbzilla says:

It’s all in the delivery. The mom was right in encouraging her child to stand up to that little punk, if in fact he WAS bullying him. But she should have done it a lot differently. How? Good question. I’m not her, but screaming “Do you see my son backing down???” and such wasn’t exactly camera-friendly. And in this day and age, you have to know you’re going to be on youtube over something like this.

6. ESI says:

I AGREE WITH THE MOM. THE COPS GETTING INVOLVE KNOW IS RIDICULES. ESPECIALLY SINCE THE SCHOOL DIDN’T DO ANYTHING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THE SCHOOL SHOULD BE REP-EMENDED FOR THIS.

7. ken says:

Way to go, mom!! That’s a defining moment in every young man’s life. God Bless you for encouraging your boy to stand up instead of lie down and wait for the government to come save him. You’re absolutely right, give ’em a week and he’ll kick the **(*&( out of them!

I did it in fifth grade. The biggest bully in school was hounding me incessantly. I had no choice. I was surrounded one day. I learned that I had good instincts. I popped him in the mouth and, to this day, over thirty years later, I still have that scar on my knuckle to remind me that I confronted my fears that day and faced the biggest threat I then knew, and didn’t LOSE!

You nevermind what the naysayers say. They are Liberaly wusses. Your boy will grow up to defend his woman, his own children and, yes, his lil ol’ mom when he’s a man. He’ll lose that baby fat and end up playing football or wrestling somewhere, and he’ll fear no man.

Keep encouraging him, in the best way you know how.

I for one am proud of you!

8. Bob Bummer says:

The mother was right to tell the school but since they did nothing then she should have sued them for their inaction.

1. silverstreak55 says:

No…the mom didn’t handle the incident correctly!
      She should have given her son a baseball bat.

9. Lawrence says:

Awesome Mom. Yes, fighting just to fight is bad. Fighting to be a bully is bad, For all those that think it’s okay to just let people bully you, sorry, I can’t agree with you.

10. Doug says:

There’s an old country and western song hookline which goes “You’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything”. When I was in the sixth grade I got into a fight over a four-square game. The teacher took the two of us to the school’s locker room, made us put on boxing gloves, and fight til we were too tired to fight.

The Mom was teaching her son the right lesson.

1. Robbzilla says:

A coach tried that with me with wrestling. I choked the other guy out. I stopped getting picked on.

11. Jose Chung says:

People are complaining about the language that the mother of the bullied child uses. Looking at the recording, it seems that the bullies were the first to drop what I imagine was a f-bomb. Kids today, much like in my day (I am 37), are far more worldly than adults give them credit for, thanks mainly to pop culture. I guarantee that the words used by the mom in the video are used by the vast majority of kids among each other when outside the presence of authority figures.

12. John says:

I agree with the intent if not the manner. I have a son that gets picked on a bit and he puts up with it to a point. I have told him not to get physical first but defend yourself. If they make a move you may let your fists fly in defense. It seems, after talking with the dean at the school, they have no problem with my son because he does not cause problems and the only kids he has issues with are the ones he sees pretty regularly in his dean’s office. In other words, he does not cause the problems but he does not shy away from those that do.

13. John Brogna says:

Good job, mom!

14. Ed Boyle says:

She did the right thing. Fight back! There is no other way to stop bullying.

15. laurie says:

Why would the ‘news’ air such trash

16. joe white (no relation) says:

mom was right, the boy needed to stand up to them. she might have eased up on the language but the world is tough she did right thing..

17. Larry says:

This mother did the right thing and the police need to find REAL criminals to keep themselves busy. His mother says all those wussies who picked on her son are leaving him alone since he fought back, and what’s wrong with that? In grade school I was small for my age and the first thing other kids wanted to do was pick on me, usually in groups… until I promptly put a hurtin’ on each one of them. And would you believe their mothers would call my mom to complain about their poor little angels with busted up faces? Next I want to see a video of the kid’s mom beating down mothers of the bullies. She looks like someone you don’t want to mess with.

1. Char T says:

I agree! I think the Mother did the right thing! She made him stand up and defend himself against the Bully haunting him every day! Her presence assured that the situation would not get out of control. Her son handled business and that bully will remember that! The launguage she used was not necessary, but she got her point across! You see the bullying tragedies on the news constantly, but only after its too late! My little cousin at the age of 13 took her own life over cowardly bullys, so sad but true! Everyonewas telling her to just try to make friends and make the best of it! I think that if she stood up to them just once, the bullying would have stopped and she would still be with us today! So, i commend this mother, POTTY MOUTH and all! XOXO

18. kathelleen says:

when you had enough and NO ONE is going to help the child or family in regards to the matter, what are you left to do? If the boy gets into trouble for it, then shame on the adults that do not do a thing to the ones that provoked him to take a stand. If no one is willing to make a difference or change, then do not tell the kids that what they did, defend themselves, is wrong.
    I would like to see the ones that taunt the kids to serve a service to community time instead of being suspended. cause that is what they want. and make the parents of those kids serve time also. So that they are aware of what is actually going on.

19. mamma italiana says:

PEOPLE STOP BEING SO POLITICAL CORRECT, I TOTALLY AGREE IF THE KIDS ARE BULLYING HIM, THESE GOOD KIDS PUT UP WITH SO MUCH B.S., AND THE BULLIES KEEP ON DOING WHAT THEY WANT, BECAUSE THE SCHOOLS, THE PARENTS, THE LAW, DON’T GIVE A DAMN, SO IF THEY CAN GIVE THEM A FIGHT, I SAY GO FOR IT, I GUARRANTY YOU, THE BULLY WILL LEAVE HIM ALONE. THAT WHAT I TOUGHT MY KIDS, WHEN THEY WERE YOUNG, IF SOMEONE IS BULLYING, DON’T BACK DOWN. SHRINKS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL, THAT IS WHY WE HAVE A COUNTRY OF YOUNG WIMPS.

20. dale says:

I agree eith the mother but not her laugage, If any one should be arrested it should be the bullies, ever notice they come in packs not one on one, they are cowards

1. kathelleen says:

the kids defended himself. nothing wrong with that.

21. Stevo says:

I am very heartened by the number of people who support the mother’s actions. It is a hard thing for a parent to do but it’s a hard world out there and it is not going to get any easier. My mother did this for me (though with more grace and dignity) and I am a better man for it. No doubt. I hope that the police man up on this too and leave it be.

1. mamma italiana says:

oh come on, are you for real?

22. Lisa C. says:

Wow. Well, I guess we really don’t know what this kid + his mom went through on a daily basis (with respect to the son being bullied). I agree w/the mom trying to “toughen up” her son. However, the way she went about it (screaming like a banshee – cursing like she was in a barfight in Gloucester City/Fishtown) was totally out of line. Oh, and the bullying kids were totally WT, too (what w/their mouths). Looked like a decent Springer episode, now that I think about it. Tehehehe. Anyway, if there’s a lesson to be learned from this.. I sure don’t know what it is………

23. kris says:

i would of handled it a little better ,but the mother is right you hav to stand up for urself or they will keep bulling you

24. Jan Alter says:

If the kid was really being bullied by the other kid he was fighting then the mother was doing the right thing in supporting him to stand up for himself. Battles are rarely fought cleanly and surgically. Since the mother is not a professional fighting coach it’s not surprising that a few obscenities get tossed into the ring.
    It would be nice if we could live by our well thought out ideals but people have really not come that far. Someday, if humanity survives itself, we may be closer. In the meantime it’s still a ‘dog eat dog’ world. Everyone who wants to survive needs to learn to defend themself on as many different levels as possible; verbally, physically, emotionally, legally, etc.

25. Bill says:

All kids should defend their selves’. the schools are a bunch of wimpy and worthless folks. the mother should have just punched the kids Mother in the face.

1. Peter says:

I can’t criticize what this woman did. And I agree with Bill. My experience with my son was that the school did not want to hear about bullying. They wanted to preserve the image of being bully-free. So any report of bullying would be classified as a “mutual dispute.” I told my son to fight back instead of taking a beating and then being accused of a mutual fight. Several other parents yanked their kids out of the district and enrolled them in schools operated by their respective religions. Those schools watch out for customers who pay them directly by check.

26. Clean print head says:

I am fully agree wit the mother who encouraging her child to fight back and as a mother you always teach your son/daughter how to defend themselves. Its great for them and they can survive in this world easil

27. Tommie says:

The parent has to be the child’s advocate. When notified of the previous incidents, the school did nothing (they’re afraid of the parents.) That mom did the right thing by encouraging her child to fight back and to stand up for himself. This is not a police matter. There’s too much real crime out there that needs their attention. If the mom smacked the bully, then that would justify involving the police,but that’s not the case. Kids have to be tough and stand their ground against the bully, and if that means cheering your kid on in a fist fight because of being the victim of a bully – so be it. I would have reacted the same way. Enough is enough.

28. Lucy says:

I agree with the mother, my mother would have done the same thing and I too would encourage my son to defend himself. Bullying is on a different level now, you can’t even leave it at school anymore with all the social media, these kids are attacked both physically and verbally 24 hours a day. I am not a big advocate of violence but when all else fails sometimes a good old fashioned fight in the street is needed!

29. Dee says:

I agree with mom, bulling won’t stop till you take a stand. ” The experts ” can talk all they want because they don”t have a solution. Our kids are killing themselves , killing those who have bullied them and those who get caught-up in the excitement or joining a gang to help protect them or either bully them in. and let’s face it where can you really go? you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt , get to court with a video and hope they don’t lock you up go figure

30. Big Al says:

I was bullied as a kid,, and it didn’t stop until I kicked the stuffing out of one of the billies. A teacher who was a friend of the family let me get in a few licks before stopping the fight.

Now, maybe we should stop bullying, but I doubt it will ever happen. If they arrest the mother in the video, they should arrest the mothers of ALL the bullies in question.

31. Kim says:

Thats tha problem with the kids today, they are too weak they can’t handle things such as stress and hard times people talking about them and so on. We have to teach out kids to be tough and handle things on their own. Fighting back is not wrong excecially if it is self defense. The mother was teaching her son how to handle a bully and fight back. I totally agree with her. When kids see you are being bullied the others will follow and bully you too. Fighting back will let them know you mean business and you are not taking that bullying mess.

32. D.D says:

How about if we turn the focus onto the parents of the bully. Thats where your story is, I bet you’ll find something wrong in the composite of that family. Why not question those parents as to why their son is bullying this other kid…I give this mom all the credit in the world. I grew up in the late 70’s and early 80’s and my mom would have done the same thing. Teach them to not back down. She obviously wouldnt have let it get out of hand. But these bullys need to be taught that you cant go through life beating up on people. Lets hear from the parents of the bully…

33. LEM says:

Children should be taught st school age to communicate with their parents about any bully attacks. And than take self defense courses and stand up to bullies or they will go through all their school years always afraid of everyone.

34. William cardwell says:

Bad Joe if it was ur kid you want him to defend himself it wasn’t like he was bullying someone he was being bullied another example of this I was in middle school when I boy hit a girl and I got up and beat the hell out of the kid the school wanted to expell me until my mom asked the principle if it was ur wife in an alley way would you want my son to stop I was in school the next day and treated no diffrent. Bullys are kids who are raised by sissy parents who don’t care to monitor they’re children or by ghetto trash who don’t deserve to have kids. Good for the mother I bet no one will mess withthat kid again

35. Shelly says:

I agree with the mother encouraging her child to fight back. Even if he doesnt “win” the fight, he stood up for himself and faced his fear. The bullies also now know that this kid has support. However, I think she crossed the line for cursing at the other children.

36. peg says:

I do not think charges should be filed against this woman. Her son got no help when bullying was reported. His mother did right to teach him to stand up to his bullies and protect himself by giving back what they gave him. The school officials administrators should have called the bullies into the office and called their parents and they should have been told that if they continued the bullying, they would be suspended from school or expelled.

37. Taisha says:

i think as a mother u have to teach your kids how to defend themselves and not let ppl walk over you! violence is not good but wen it comes knocking on ur front door u have to answer it!! thats goes for kids or adults!

38. Christian says:

As a 15 year old boy I believe this s definatley not the way this should be handled. The victim should be defending himself not hurting them on purpose.

1. Peter says:

Christian, I respect your opinion , but I believe it would change if, after defending yourself against a known bully, you and your parents were told by an assistant principal that you were 50% at fault.

39. William cardwell says:

That’s what’s wrong with this world the only thing his mother did wrong was curse like that in front of kids other then that all u sissy parents need to pull your panties from your butts . My mom would of done the same thing no one wants to see there child bullied and when the bully’s follow ur kid home something has to be done. I guess no one heard the bully tell the adult I already fd ur kid up that kid deserved an old fashion ass whooping and his mother should of got one too for lettin her kid talk to an adult like that

Comments are closed.