Bensalem Grandmother Charged After Boy, 3, Found Wandering

BENSALEM, PA (CBS) — A drunken grandmother was arrested in Bucks County late Monday afternoon and was being held on $50,000 bail on charges she let her toddler grandson wander the streets while she was supposed to be babysitting.

Bensalem police said it was a motorist who found the three-year-old boy wandering on Brown Avenue — about 200 feet from the Regency Apartments where he lives with his mother and sister.

The driver called police who eventually learned where the child lived.

Bensalem Public Safety Director Fred Harran said they found an intoxicated 48-year-old Lisa McLawhorn, who told them she was unaware the child was missing.

“The child’s mother thought that the grandmother was watching the kid and somewhere the communication broke down and I guess watching the kids and getting a six-pack is what the grandmother did and the two don’t mix,” Harran said.

Police said her blood alcohol level was point.135. She’s facing child endangerment and related charges.

Police believe the child crawled out of an open window in a bedroom in the apartment.

Reported by KYW’s Brad Segall

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. JustMe says:

Sorry for the error: that should read “In” your perfect world ……..

2. JustMe says:

@ palmer1619:I your perfect world, there is only the ‘human’ race. I’d love for it to be that way also. But, in the world we live in today, it’s all about race. I agree with both annonymous and MST. If this article were written about Blacks, there would be so many racial comments on here it would be pitiful. But, because it’s about Whites, not very many comments are made. It’s a shame it’s like that, but, truth is, it is like that. And racism will never go away. Frankly, I’m Praying for the whole HUMAN race.

3. palmer1619 says:

I don’t think this has anything to do with race. It’s time people stopped thinking in those terms. Hopefully, we’re all human beings, and that should be enough.

4. Dave NY USA says:

She is only FORTY EIGHT???

5. MST says:

Anonymous — great minds think alike!

1. Anne Purcell says:

People are so messed up today…The Daughter should be held responsible as well for this. Get those kids out before something horrible happens.

6. Anonymous says:

@ MST April 19, 2011 at 3:07pm: You are exactly correct.

7. Stinker says:

Wow, she’s a looker. And yeah, perfect example of what drinking does to someone who is 48, but looks 68. I know people in their 60’s who look better than she does. Such a shame. I hope the apple falls very far from the tree and the kids Mom doesn’t follow in this idiots footsteps!

8. MST says:

Anonymous — if this woman was black, there would be two hundred comments here!

9. Anonymous says:

And to all of you who just KNEW these people HAD to be BLACK, what say ye now?

10. Betsy G. says:

48? I was thinking more like 68. See what heavy drinking can do to a person? I don’t think this was granny’s first rodeo. Daughter should have known better.

11. Lisa C. says:

Oh, Jesus. I thought the pic was from the “Faces of Meth” ad campaign. Way to go, Granny! Poor kid could have been killed. WT @ its finest, I would imagine.

Comments are closed.