Forgive Me iPhone, For I Have Sinned

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A new app for devices like the iPhone and iPad aims to take the intimidation factor out of Confession for Catholics — and the Church is giving it the thumbs-up.

confession app Forgive Me iPhone, For I Have SinnedYou’ll still have to tell a priest your sins in person, but “Confession: A Roman Catholic App” holds your hand through the process via your hand-held.

Nicole Brewer reports…

Katie, a Temple University sophomore, likes how the app takes you step-by-step, preparing you for the sacrament by asking questions that might point out a sin or two you’ll want to divulge.

“I like how you have the ‘in the name of the Father’ — like what they should say,” Katie said.

Teresa, a senior at Temple, says that’ll help — as long as you’re not blasting Jay-Z when you enter the confessional.

“Confession for some people can be kind of intimidating, so I think this will make it a lot easier for them to go through it,” Teresa said.

Father Jerry Wild at the University’s Newman Center says when it comes to absolution, touchscreens can’t replace the face-to-face, but support for the app shows the Church is keeping up with the times.

“We certainly live in a technological age, so the Church has to be aware of that and respond to that reality.”

Reported by Ian Bush, KYW Newsradio

Top Content On CBSPhilly

Comments

1. Rita says:

I believe in Jesus Christ who died for my sins. He said that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. He also said that we should love one another and forgive one another of our sins. It is written that all who call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

While I do not believe we must ask a Priest to forgive our sins, I do believe the action of asking for forgiveness from Jesus Christ is very important to our daily life as a Christian because we all make mistakes. The application on the phone while it applies to the Catholic church may cause some to think about the need to ask forgiveness and that in and of itself is a good thing.

2. OhRatts says:

So… freaking… stupid… must… control urge… to bang head against my computer screen…

3. John Labrum says:

whatever next

4. rblackbird says:

Skeptics debating the existence of God are like fish debating the existence of the ocean.

That’s what faith is. Either you get it or you don’t.

5. TM Lutas says:

On an ipod touch there would be no problem bringing this app with you in the confessional but apparently there’s a guideline out that cell phones are to be off when in the confessional, and not just turned off but battery out. Apparently somebody in the intelligence field has been caught by the Vatican being especially naughty.

1. Jerry Knick says:

Confessing to a priest or a fencepost, same affect. The priest is just a man, no closer to God than anyone else. May not even know God. To know God you must know Jesus Christ and accept His payment for your sin on the Cross. He sits at the right hand of the Father and intercedes for us. He is our advocate. NOT man. We can go directly to the Father and confess our sin through Jesus Christ.

6. xlemming says:

Sensitive information like a confession should never be entered on a connected device like an Iphone. Cell phones can be accessed from the outside for one thing. You don’t actually have to send the confession anywhere. It can still be read. The bigger risk for most people, however, is losing the phone or having it fall into the wrong hands. Personally, I think the actual utility of an app like this is so low that it doesn’t justify the risk of exposure. Keep your private stuff private.

1. xlemming says:

I guess it’s incorrect to call an Iphone a “cell phone.” These smartphones are actually small computers. I don’t own one myself, but from what I’ve read, they’re vulnerable to hackers and malware, among other things, just like an ordinary computer. Your personal data CAN be accessed from the outside. I wouldn’t be surprised if every smartphone out there has an NSA backdoor, but I can’t prove that. Most of the extensive government surveillance in place is automated and I doubt if the NSA or FBI really cares about your sins in the first place. The biggest risk for ordinary people, I think, comes from hackers, theft and accidental loss. Here’s a scenario for you:

A decent Catholic man, wracked with guilt because he had an affair with his secretary, uses this app to prepare for confession and ends up getting blackmailed by a hacker who broke into his smartphone.

Sounds like a movie of the week.

7. Brendan says:

Having read most of the previous comments following this article, I felt the call to humbly put forward my opinion on some of the issues raised. Mind you I am no theologian nor do I claim to know everything. First and foremost the whole idea of the app being a substitute for confession is a clear miss interpretation, as it is clearly has been stated that it in meant to be an aid while in, and preparing for confession (as so many books and papers have provided before, thus nothing has changed except that you can now get this information electronically on a phone).

Second, while Christianity must be accepted primarily on faith (something which cannot be physically placed in the brains of those of you on this thread who keep bashing Christianity and asking for proof of God), I would say that for many Christians, Catholic and Protestant alike (including myself), God has made his existence so obvious through his works in our lives, and the the marvelous creation of our universe (which current science continues to prove is amazingly complex and magnificent, being a marine biology student I believe in the changes science has shown have taken place on earth and think they are even more evidence of God’s existence but that is another debate) that no further proof for us is needed. Like many have said you either see it or you don’t, or you believe it based on faith. For those of us who do believe in God and eternal life, we believe that after our time on this earth is done we will move on to a second life that this life cannot compare to, and thus to us, in the end nothing else matters more than reaching this new life. If we are wrong the funny thing is all it means is that this life does not matter anyway, so we bet our mortal lives on an incomparable immortal one but lost (for me that would be a et I’d be willing to make). For those of you who do not believe, to you what you do in this life does not matter in the end anyway (so I have to wonder why you are on this thread trying to disprove the existence of God and not out pleasure seeking and making the most of the precious little time you have left in existence, because after all, to you this is all you think you have, if I did not believe I would definately be doing something more exciting with my life than trying to dissprove Christianity…but thats just me). If however we Christians want to live this life as a sacrifice (I don’t feel living even as a humble devout Catholic is a sacrifice, I love the freedom and the beauty of it) in exchange for a chance at something infinitely greater, why do you care if it does not matter anyway? I pray for you (not in a way like “oh those idiot, infidels”) but as a friend who hopes for the best for you!

Thirdly, while I understand that we Catholics and Protestants obviously have our differences (otherwise we might all still be united under one clearly indentifiable banner) it appears that some of us want to try and disprove each others beliefs based on our own scriptural knowledge, and I feel that if it were possible to do this very convincingly, we would all be united again by now. Thus I am not going to quote scripture in defense of my Catholic faith (not starting another scripture war, although I find scripture proof) but try to explain some of my beliefs on these issues based on my knowledge of the Faith. I have many strong protestant friends and I love them to death and do not in anyway want to take a shot at the Protestant beliefs. However I do want to ask the question of the Protestants who are trying to bring down the Catholic Church based on scriptural evidence where they think the Bible (particularly New Testament) came from? The Old Testament as we all know predated the coming of Christ, but the New Testament was not exactly a sequal handed to the people by Christ himself with the orders to “read it daily” but rather a group of works composed individually by those who either witnessed Christ’s life or learned about him from a close source. The first New Testament arrived “on the shelf” following a council of The early Church (Catholic Church mind you), which was in existence prior to its completion (hmmm wonder how they knew how to function without a Bible for guidlines?). Again, not to try and start a dispute with the Protestants but I don’t understand how they percieve the New Testament as such a flawless rebuke of the Catholic Church if it was composed by the Catholic Church, which some of them claim is terribly flawed). Again I am not trying to say that, the Catholic Church is flawless (no large organization of the face of the earth ever has been, at least to my knowledge), however If it was the Church that composed the organization of the Bible who is it to say that the Church can only operate within the context of the Bible (after all it was the Church, with the will of God, that decided what went into the NT was true…there was no “previous New Testament” to check it against, and thus it was the Church Fathers (with divine inspiration) who decided what went into the New Testament…The Protestants then chose the sections of it they wanted to keep later).

As for the Church scandals (again name me a large human organization that is not flawed), but it is easy to point fingers at the Catholic Church when it is so united under one banner, has a prominent leader (the Pope) and even its own central location the Vatican. Now explain to me how you might address a similar scandal involving ministers or pastors in the protestant Church (or should I say Churches) as there are so many different branches and divisions many of which are their own isolated church. I would be willing to bet that you could find an equal number of scandals if you looked at all the protestant Churches combined, (again not pointing fingers or bashing protestants just pointing something out). When something happens in the Catholic Church you have a united, single organization to blame and it is easy to keep track of how many things happen. When things happen in protestant Churches they might show up in a local news paper but what a Baptist or Lutheran minister does in Georgia is not usually linked to everything those of the same Baptist or Lutheran faith have done throughout recent history. Granted I think what all of the scandals that have happened in the Church are terrible and the attempts to “cover it up” are shameful, however that will never color my view of the thousands of exemplary clergy I have seen or met who give their lives to God with true sincerity and surety of belief. Yes there are hundreds of thousands of Catholics who do shameful things, as we are human and many of us don’t live by or even know our faith, Christ came for humanity because none of us are perfect. But I urge you that if you could see the lives of those who truly live it out as it has meant to be lived (believe me there are more than you probably think) you would see the beauty and humility and awesomeness of this faith. My Mother is a convert from the Lutheran faith (her father was a Lutheran minister, and truly great man) and while she values her protestant upbringing she has instilled in me (a cradle Catholic) her deep, humble love of her new found Catholic Faith and has pointed out the differences and similarities.

Attempting to convert anyone who reads this is the last thing from my mind I merely wanted to try to answer some of what has been said on this thread to the best of my abilities to try to help develop an understanding between all parties and raise further questions. I respect the Protestant faiths with the deepest sincerity, and love the beauty I see in my Catholic Church with all my heart and above all I seek God’s will for my life. All in all I just want to say that anyone who gets to look upon the type of Catholics that live out the faith as it is intended to be lived (not me by a long shot, but I have seen some people in my life of whom I now speak), would be hard pressed not to look upon their life and smile and know in their heart that God is very pleased with these individuals. Don’t look at the nearest Catholic and use that as your example, because quite frankly there are many “Catholics” out there who are not “Catholic,” none of us are perfect but I have seen some that anyone in their right mind would at the minimum respect. Before you wind up and take your rip at the Catholic Church and its issues please think of Christ’s words when he says “let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” I have looked deeply at both sides, questioned protestant friends, listened to the some of best speakers the Catholic and Protestant faith’s have to offer and read the works from some of the greatest Christians, philosophers and thinkers of all time and from that I have concluded for myself (not for you, you must do that) that my Catholic Faith is beautiful and most of those who bash it do not understand it or misconcieve it. Throughout my life I have see that the better I have lived out my faith the happier I have been and the easier it is to manage life’s challenges. Even in my darkest times (although I am very young I have gone through some horrible things that i can confidently say are almost as bad as it gets), when I have turned away from God almost completely (being the flawed sometimes irrational human that I am), his grace has brought me back and saved me.

God Bless and thanks for reading (I know this was long but I had a lot I wanted to say)!

humbly,
    -Brendan (college sophmore…just wanted to add that so to put my words into context)

please pardon any spelling or grammar errors as I had to write this quick and get back to homework

1. Tracy says:

Well said, Brandon. I am impressed that you are so young with such great thoughts of your religion (and mine). May God bless you on your journey’s!

8. rinaldirocco says:

Either God exists (the UN-caused cause) or this entire universe came to be from nothing.What is more logical to believe? A person can believe in God or a person can believe in nothing.I think believing that nothing created the universe demands MORE faith than believing that God created the universe.(and this is not considering all the miracles that are proven to have happened)Also,the Big Bang requires a cause not a nothing.And its cause cannot be “gravity”(as some say it is) because gravity requires existence(mass) to be in order for gravity to happen.

9. Olrik says:

Olrik has no sins to confess…

10. JimAKAblue says:

That looks like cool app if confession is your thing.

I noticed that this thread has turned into a bit of a debate about the existence of God…here’s my two cents:

I just want to know how/why God goofed up the Old Testament so badly? How could he possibly have thought it was reasonable to stone adulterers in one century, then decide that it was wrong in another?

Just wonderin’…

1. rinaldirocco says:

For God death in this life is irrelevant because God knows that life is forever.It is better for a person to repent from sin in this life and live forever in Heaven than to live in sin in this life and suffer in Hell forever. When a person faces death in this life,sometimes that person will seek God’s mercy and live forever in happiness with God.In a way this is an example of God’s unconditional love.God wants all in Heaven.Love is wanting the greatest good for another.The greatest good is Heaven.God does not want any person to go to Hell.This is why all Heaven rejoices when a person repents.The Good Shepard wants all his sheep safe and well.

2. presence says:

Because all of religeon is human’s interpretation of God’s will and therefore flawed. We have free will to mess things up. I did hear a really great idea though, in that God will not force himself on you but does care about each and every one of us. So if you are open to the possibility of his existence, all you have to do is pray (without even really believing) to him to show you in your life that he is there. It worked for me, even when I required additional proofs to “make sure” that I wasn’t just deluding myself.

11. Francis says:

Don’t bless me with your pious BS as you continue to blather nonsense.

You ask people to focus their lives on an imaginary friend that you can show no proof of whatsoever. You believe that your god, amongst the 10,000’s of gods over history, is the true and real one while saying all others are untrue. You are just one fake god away from being an atheist, one that simply accepts that there is no god.

It is on you to prove there is a god and that it is real, not mine.

Again, don’t bless me with your sanctimonious delusional chant.

1. CANmann says:

Dude, you obviously have not given this much thought. Probably haven’t read any of the great philosophers. Haven’t read Aquinas, or Augustine, or Socrates, or the like who proved by the minds that God gave us, that He indeed does exists. Then there is that historically provable man named Jesus, that you have to ignore if you would ignore all the other scientific evidences for the designer of the universe. So go ahead and bury your head in the sand and ignore all the evidences he has provided you. The ball is in your court. Try playing with it.

1. JM in San Diego CA says:

To CANmann:

Please explain God’s mistakes. Did your divine Lord intend to invent earthquakes — or they an oversight, as in “Oops, Michael, looks like I forgot to fuse those tectonic plates.”

How about tornadoes, solar flares and hemorrhoids? Either there’s no Creator or He isn’t very good at it.

Your Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth,” so don’t cop out on me with bogus excuses. Obviously, the Creation was seriously flawed. There’s no warranty, service, either, only religious services which conveniently ignore the mistakes.

2. CANmann says:

JM, I’m not sure why you would think you could build a better universe than the one we live in. (or do you really believe it all came by accident). However, you must first deal with Jesus first before we can go on to other subjects. You see, I read in histories that he really existed with zero denials! Christianity is a historical religion, with evidence from friendly and non-friendly sources. If He did exist, and claimed to be God, of which we have quite a bit of evidence, then you need to deal with that evidence first.

ps don’t know why my first post wound up at the bottom of the page?

3. Sparro says:

You really haven’t thought this through at all. Did you ever read the bible? At least the first 3 chapters. God cursed the world because of the disobedience of 1 man. If you think that is bogus then just keep ignoring the facts. Try to look at what you believe from every possible angle. I bet you never tried to prove what you didn’t believe, or disprove what you do.

4. Dr. Cato says:

People that believe in god are delusional. People that believe god talks to them are mentally ill. People that act on the messages from their unseen imaginary friend are psychotic and may be dangerous.

2. CANmann says:

1. JM in San Diego CA says:

As usual, as expected, you fell back on dogmatic slogans. As usual, as expected, you didn’t address the only issue I raised, the colossal flaws in the “Creation.”

Yes, I’m sure Jesus existed. So did Father Divine, who claimed to be God. Also, consider some contemporary con-men, Jimmy Swaggart, Tony Alamo, Jim Bakker and Pat Robertson.

Religion is silly at best and dangerous at worst.

2. JM in San Diego CA says:

Any hope for you explaining all the mistakes? (Doesn’t look like it.)

3. jd says:

God made you to have just such a reaction, Francis. God loves you and has plans for you.

4. Sparro says:

So you have dis-proven the existence of every god in history. You are so smart. I wouldn’t bet my life on there not being even 1 god if there are so many. But you have already figured out that there must not be any gods at all. Why would it be on anyone other than yourself to figure out what is true. If you are wrong I am sure that you will just tell God it is everyone’s fault but your own. Good luck with that one.

5. HarryK says:

Its not up to anyone to prove to you there is a God and that Hes real and the only God. God gave all of us free will.

Live your life as a non-believer if you like. The only proof youre going to get comes the moment you die. Then its too late to change your mind.

6. Deborah Sobwick says:

so what do you believe about an a advanced alien civilization?????

7. presence says:

Don’t ask us for proof, ask God. You only have to give him the chance.

8. Blunt Instrument says:

“Lighten up, Francis”

12. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi says:

19 Dancing Oswalds = 5 Dancing Mossad

13. Ralph Kiner says:

It will be a long time before this new technology aid of going to confession becomes operational and fully accepted by the Catholic Church—. ergo, lets not jump to conclusions at this point in time.There are far too many questions that need to be addressed before it is accepted by the Churtch..

1. godlikesit says:

The article said the church likes it. I can’t imagine a priest kicking someone out of the confessional for it. Hey, god created it, so what could go wrong?

2. Fr Chris Walsh says:

The app has been given an Imprimatur (let it be used) by the Bishop of South Bend…. it is a tool – not a replacement for the sacrament.

14. Wanda North says:

actually we don’t think that way about the jews at all.

15. Michael says:

Paul, Jesus started a new covenant, meaning the old covenant is over. We Catholics believe Jesus when He told Peter he’s the rock upon which Christ will build His Church (singular, not plural). Peter has had successors all the way down to today. They are called popes, head of the one Church established by Christ. We believe Jesus when He said to eat His flesh and drink His blood and instituted the Holy Eucharist when He took the bread and told his Apostles, this is My body, take and eat and then took the wine and said this is my blood, take and drink in memory of Me. We Catholics continue taking Holy Communion as Jesus commanded.

16. John A. Klimowicz says:

Boy, everybody is RIGHT, wow …… To the faithful, remember that the first reaction to TRUTH is usually ANGER. Jesus taught us kindness, even to our “enemies” . Say a prayer for them, it might really send them into a tizzy….

17. Gus says:

Tom – this app is simply today’s version of a scratch piece of paper and a pencil; a mechanism for the penitent to capture and remember what they need to confess while in the confessional. It is a tool to help the penitent conduct a thorough examination of conscience. This was not developed to somehow allow you to text, tweet, or email your priest for absolution. It is an instrument designed to help us make good, complete confessions. We are still required to confess our sins face-to-face in the presence of a priest.

18. Frank says:

Guides to prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation are nothing new. We’ve always had brochures, books and pamphlets to help us prepare for “Confession”. Now it’s on an app. Big whoop.

19. nomad says:

Im not a catholic, but as a christian I do understand the importance of confessing before men as well as the lord. I find it not only rediculous and destractionary, but weirdly insecure that one can’t even leave their phone for just one minute to speak with a minister over their eternal fate. What kind of society are we becoming

1. lovetech says:

Sorry, I was texting something, what did you say?

20. E-Rock says:

Someone pass me the hammer I have to nail this paper to the door……………AGAIN!

1. CANmann says:

see John 20:21-23! Now go take that paper back down

21. Anne Frankenstein says:

Let me guess, this is all part of God’s plan?

1. Sam says:

SO RUDE.

22. Bruce says:

It is very irritating that this page refreshes automatically. I was reading the comments, but the page refreshed and stuck me back at the top of the page. I’m using the time I would have spent finding my place to make this complaint before I leave the article.

23. Don Beckitel says:

Virtual forgiveness! Praise be the Ivisible Man in the Sky.

1. Sam says:

Can you read? Or do you go through life totallly ignorant by reading headliens only.

24. Chris says:

If you don’t want the world to know your sins, don’t take your cell phone in the confessional with you. Do a search: “FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool”. That should pretty much say it all right there.

1. Fr Chris Walsh says:

You are not “putting your sins” on the iPhone; the app offers questions to reflect on (the “examine your conscience”) as you confess your sins. As Jesus said so many times, DO NOT BE AFRAID!

25. rinaldirocco says:

This is more of an “Examination of Conscious” aide then a confession.This device will help people realize all the sins they have committed.SO that,they can go to Confession realizing all the sins committed and then get forgiveness from Jesus through the Priest acting in persona Christi (“in the person of Christ”).

1. Dr. Bombay says:

“The great enemy of clear language is insincerity.
      When there is a gap between one’s real and one’s declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink.”
      ~ George Orwell

2. Michael says:

rinaldirocco, exactly! I have the same thing in a book from, printed in the 1930s. The book helps me examine my conscience. This is just an electronic version. The e-book is not new. This is basically the same thing. Just called an app.

26. piratecavebear says:

I can’t believe how clueless you people are. So far, xlemming is the only one who has seen through this ruse. He wrote:

“This is just another way for Big Brother to collect information on you (along with all the other data they’re collecting from your social networking sites, google searches, email, etc. etc.). And this one is particularly brilliant. CONFESS YOUR SINS ONLINE! Believe me, this is all going into a database somewhere.”

Don’t people realize that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you send out, whether it’s a picture or a text message or a forum post, is being collected by someone who could someday use it against you.
    Confess your sins to God. He is the only Big Brother you can trust.

1. Pam says:

People who don’t believe in God are pitiful and….well…. foolish….that’s the mildest term I can use.

1. nick says:

Psalm 53:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
        They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity;
        there is none who does good.

2. Wally George says:

And this BS is proof? You have no proof of anything so you refer to books thousands of years old, translated numerous times for political gain that prove nothing except that you are totally lacking in any support for what you say.

We call those people cult members that are delusional. You’re no different from some middle eastern nut job that will kill you if you don’t agree with his cult.

3. CANmann says:

Did anyone here say they are going to kill you? You are the fanatic one. Just read what you just wrote. Can you define “cult member” for those of us with less intelligence than you.
        You make statements and add nothing to back it up! What you accuse us of you do (though we don’t). For instance, prove to us that the Bible was translated for “political gain”!

2. Wally George says:

Wow … more of god’s plan from the mental deficient that still can’t prove with any rational facts that god is any more real than Leprechauns. They have zero empirical evidence of anything they asset yet expect you to accept it as fact.

Notice how they make up stuff on the go and none of them will agree on how their fantasy works. The more you point this out the more defensive and irrational they become and they always tell you that you’re going to hell.

We call these people degenerates.

1. jerry says:

Probably the name calling by those of faith and those without faith is a unncessary. Certainly everyone who believes cannot be a degenerate any more than everyone who doesnt believe is foolish.

But we can argue facts and science and faith. Proving the nature of God may require faith, but if you deny the existence entirely then you are asserting the logical impossibility that we came into being out of nothing. Whether you say we, or a sea thing that you think we evolved from, or the earth, or the solar system, or the galaxy, or galaxy cluster, or however far out you want to take it. You still are left at some point with the impossibiliy that one moment there was nothing and then a moment later something appeared without any force acting on it, wihtout any creator. Science, truth, logic, everything we know about everything implies that there must be a creator for there to be the created. At base, that is God, and there is no way around his existence.

2. Wally George says:

“Proving the nature of Leprechauns may require faith, but if you deny the existence entirely then you are asserting the logical impossibility that we came into being out of nothing.

Do you see how delusional you sound? Seek help now.

3. Michael says:

It’s not online confession. Confession takes place only with a priest, not via an app. This thing just helps a person learn about confession and prepare for it.

1. xlemming says:

Iphones, Ipads, Blackberries, etc., are online devices connected to the internet and the telecom networks. Everything you enter into a device like this is online and accessible from outside whether you actually send it or not.

27. LUCIFERUSINCULCATUS says:

Modern christianity has nothing to do with SPIRITUALITY. It is a psychologically motivated apologist movement that excuses every evil, destructive behavior inherent in humanity. When millions follow a religion based on forgiving and denying DESTRUCTIVE, HARMFUL behaviors such as GREED, GLUTTONY, INFIDELITY, DECEIT, USURY, etc..WORLD DOWNFALL is not far behind! YOUR END TIMES ARE HERE, Christians! It is for you the burning lake awaits. You are FALSE, WEAK and ultimately DOOMED!

1. Gus says:

Nice try, Lucifer. However, your pitiful understanding of Christianity is glaring.

2. RevDeac says:

Luciferusinculcatus,
      The ultimate destructivenss of all sinful behavior and attitude is the very reason for what many perishing see as the ultimate foolishenss: Christ came into this world to save sinners. That includes quite a number greedy, unfaithful, deceitful, userius gluttons. Evil is not excused in God’s economy. Not at all. God had to come and be the propitiation for our sins, enduring the full wrath of God For His sake, may God be gracious to you and grant you His mercy, a clear picture of who you and who He is, forgiveness, and everlasting life in Christ Jesus.

28. bammbamm says:

Some of the respondees make an interesting point. I.e., God either exists or He doesn’t. If He doesn’t then all believers are sorry ass humans and dangerous. But if he does exist, then all the non-believers are insane and dangerous. Face it folks; it’s one or the other.

29. Mary says:

Don, if you only go to Mass on Sunday, the Church goes through the entire Bible in a three year cycle (the whole Bible), including the books Luther dropped. If you attend daily Mass, you go through the whole Bible in a year. So we read the Bible. You need to read the whole bible and not pick out a line here or there and ignore others. The bible is the Word of God and cannot contradict itself.

One thing is to be innocently ignorant and another thing is to be obstinate. If you have time to post and Catholic bash, you have time to educate yourself about what the teachings of the Church are. You will be made to account for your willful disregard for the Truth. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is available online. READ IT.

Catholic priests do not forgive sins. When they administer the sacrament they are doing it “in persona christi”. When the priest gives you absolution, he says that God forgives you not that he forgives you. Moreover, you cannot confess something and not mean it or else the absolution is no good. You have to be contrite and make the effort to not commit the sin again. You may fall again because you are human, but the desire to not commit the sin has to be there. This is for those who claim that Catholics believe that as long as they confess, they can go on sinning. It almost sounds like once saved always saved which we know is false and a creation of Luther a few hundred years ago.

What about the passage “…whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained? Doesn’t this require hearing a sin before deciding to forgive or retain it? It is God who forgives as in your passage, but you have to tell it to his minister. The Church also has the power to bind and loose. Let that one swirl around your mind a little.

SAVEANDKNOWIT…..Call no man father….really? So Paul must be out of his mind when he says “For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel” (1 Cor. 4:14–15).” I guess he didn’t get that memo. CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT.

1. SavedToo says:

Mary, the verse in I Corinthians 4:14-15 says, “I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you. For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.”

Stick with the old KJV. You can get anything you want out of the new “copyrighted” versions. The new versions deny the virgin birth, the diety of Jesus, and many other truths.

Again, you must use the right version, and keep the verses in context. When you tell someone about the Lord and they get saved, you are symbolized as a father leading a young child to Christ. Spiritually calling one Father like the Catholic church does, is forbidden in Matthew 23:9.

You MUST take the verses into context. You can make any verse say anything you want if you don’t read the other verses surrounding the text and take it into context.

1. CANmann says:

Yes, context context context. King James ONLY!!!!???? What did Christians do for the first 1500 years?????

Anyway, the “father” passage in Matt 23:9 refers to the fact that all fatherhood comes from God, otherwise, no one could be called teacher either(see verse 8).

St Stephen didn’t get it either – And Stephen said: “Brethren and fathers, hear me. Acts 7:2

Luk 1:73 “the oath which he swore to our father Abraham”

Luk 3:8 Bear fruits that befit repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.

If you want more, just let me know

2. SavedToo says:

CANmann, in your references, the term “father” is speaking physically, which I explained already. There is a difference between a physical father and a calling someone father in the spritual sense…

3. CANmann says:

Savedtoo, you have a rather unique way of interpreting Scripture. I pray God that you are infallible, otherwise you may be wrong. In other words, just because you said it, does not make it so!
        So, since St Paul said Timothy was he true child, then that’s physical??? Wow, another miracle since St Paul was a celibate.
        And since God can raise children to Abraham from stones, that is physical too?? Another miracle. Do you not see how silly that is. Is it not obvious that the children that would be raised from those stones would be spiritual descendants and not physical??
        No SAVEDTOO, the passage is saying do not arrogate to yourself that which belongs to God. Yes, we may call our spiritual leaders Fathers.

2. puddydawg says:

Mary you were doing OK unti you hit the [It is God who forgives as in your passage, but you have to tell it to his minister] Where does it say that? It doesn’t uness you bend and twist some passages. I tel my sins straight to God, I do not need a minister/priest as a go between. Gos will decide if I am beoing true in my confession.

30. Dr. Bombay says:

OK, since you as the webmaster of CBS Philly are removing these posts about criminal actions by priests, CBS Philly is aligned with the Catholic church and is protecting and supporting these criminals in robes?

Just want a clarification on your deleting of posts about criminal actions and who is in charge of doing so.

1. jerry says:

I seriously doubt that CBS is affiliated with the Church, Maybe they just made a determination that ever post about Catholicism doesnt need to be overrun with attacks on the Church based on ithe old news of its bad priests.

Judas was a bad disciple and he was chosen by Christ. Yet it would be silly to deny every issue of faith because Judas, who followed Christ failed spectacularly.

It is unfortunately a foregone conclusion that men will sin. Even Priests. It is horrific what some of them did. It was also horrific that people believed they could be rehabilitated and so they were often not de-frocked immediately. It is also horrific that many seminaries were overun in the 60’s/70’s with counterculture activists seeking more to change the church than to know God.

But yet, the Church has corrected most of the problem, as it has corrected its wayward members in the past, and it endures. And re-hashing those issues is no more germain to a discussion of confession than is Judas and his bag of coins.

31. xlemming says:

1. jerry says:

Did you even read the post you are replying too? The program doesnt allow you to send your confession to someone – it just helps you prepare for a verbal confession. No one collects any information.

1. xlemming says:

Sure I read it. The app may not allow YOU to send your confession anywhere, but that doesn’t mean that the app itself isn’t sending it somewhere or that someone isn’t accessing your phone over the internet or the telecom network. The FBI can listen to you over your cell phone even when the phone is turned off. They can use your cell phone to track your movements. Confessions are private for a reason. If you type them into your cell phone, you’re taking a big security risk.

2. JM in San Diego CA says:

xlemming: Please validate your claim about the phone being used for eavesdropping when it’s turned off. I’m calling that an urban legend.

It’s quite possible for a modified phone (or other such device) to be configured as a bug, but my 50+ years of professional and hobby experience with electronics tells me that an “stock” phone that’s OFF will not receive or transmit. The only circuits that are active in such a phone are those which may be required to maintain its various memory contents — call history, directory, ring tones, photos, etc.

3. xlemming says:

Here’s a story about the FBI activating the microphones in gangster’s cell phones. The story mentions the fact that this can be done even when the cell phone is turned off. Apparently, you can never turn the cell phones off completely without removing the battery. They send out signals periodically to contact local cell towers and the like.

32. Jay says:

The Catholic Church does not maintain that confession to a priest is necessary for absolution. The Church recognizes that true humility is engendered when you have the courage to speak aloud to another human being the horrible things you’ve done. And the priest is there to help you understand that you truly are forgiven if you have confessed with a humble and contrite heart, and to help you understand the difference between guilt and shame. Guilt should be washed away after confession. The shame takes longer, as it should!

Oh, and to all you protestants, if you still sin, then you’re not saved!

1. Matt says:

“The Catholic Church does not maintain that confession to a priest is necessary for absolution.” This is an incorrect comment.

The Cathechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) clearly states that although “Only God forgives sins” (see CCC 1441), “he [i.e., Christ] entrusted the exercise of the power of absolution to the apostolic ministry [i.e., Bishops and priests through them] which he charged with the “ministry of reconciliation.” (CCC 1442). Morevoer, it is “The Church, who through the bishop and his priests forgives sins in the name of Jesus Christ.” (CCC 1448)

You may disagree with this teaching, but let’s be clear about what the Church actually preaches.

The comment to protestants is also incorrect. Only God may judge.

Please stop with these comments, you only confuse people and bring the Church into disrepute.

1. Jay says:

Guess you’ve never been deployed in a war zone with no priest to confess to. I was assured by my pastor back home that all of my prayers for forgiveness were heard and answered. Again, I see nothing in your passage stating in black and white that unless I confess to a priest, I’m not forgiven. I’m not trying to split hairs with you here, and I’m not a Catholic apologist, because the Church has nothing to apologize for. Hate that word. I’m proud of my faith. And I don’t disagree with these teachings. I’m just telling you, its not always possible to see a priest when you need to.

If you want to talk about bringing disrepute on the Church, lets talk about the real culprits, filth like Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, or anyone with the last name Kennedy. They’re the ones who’ve been complicit in the murder of over 40 million children since Roe V Wade, and yet continue to be in communion with the Church. Disgusting.

2. Matt says:

Jay, you have conflated “absolution” with “forgiveness”. Absolution is a juridic act of the Church which serves as the ordinary means through which God forgives sins. Certainly, in a war zone, without recourse to a priest, a Catholic may make a perfect act of contrition and obtain God’s forgiveness.

Just a clarification.

And I appreciate your calling out Pelosi and Kerry as being the true culprits, I just wanted clarity on this topic so as not to confuse non-Catholics about what the Church teaches.

2. Tom says:

The Catholic absolutely does maintain that confession to a Priest is required.

1. rinaldirocco says:

When you are in danger of death or have perfect (sorry because you have offended the God who loves you the most) contrition,God will forgive you.But,when you are in a safe situation,the Catholic Church teaches that you should go to a Priest to re-confess because that is the way Jesus set it up.–“whose sin you forgive are forgiven; whose sins you retain are retained.”

3. SavedToo says:

Jay, trusting in your works and trying to do your best by not sinning is not good enough. It takes Jesus to completely cleanse us of our sins. Because we’re saved, we do good works and try not to sin. When we sin, we ask Him for forgiveness to make us right and not grieve him — not to be saved again.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

Ephesians 4:30 says, “And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.”

The Bible says in Titus 1:2, “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;”.

I think I will go with the Bible and what it says and not trust in my feelings or trust in me keeping it myself — and not trust in what others say without having a Bible verse (in context) to backup what they are saying.

1. jerry says:

Saved – I think this is where we see how close our beliefs are. I would agree with your first 3 sentences, and the verses are what they are, but they do not prove or disprove either belief. Including the truth that God’s grace saves us through faith. It is only by God’s grace that I do not fall into sin, and when I do sin, it is God’s grace that allows me not to do it again. So in essense it is never my actions that lead to salvation, but it is my cooperation with God’s grace (an act of the will) that keeps me from turning away from him. If I turn away, I beleive I do not recieive salvation – as in the parable of the maidens keeping their candles lit awaiting Chirst. The ones who were not vigilient, were not saved. Those who were vigilent were saved. You believe that it is impossible to turn away. That is the essential difference.

2. rinaldirocco says:

Even Saint Paul “trembled” about his salvation.

3. SavedToo says:

rinaldirocco,

The word trembled doesn’t mean “doubt”. The Bible says you can know you are saved. If you could get saved and lose it, then you can’t know.

I John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”

33. Matt says:

So you require God to do what you want Him to?

1. Deborah Sobwick says:

can i ask him to help me win the lottery??????

34. Jim says:

I guess Jesus was pulling the Apostle’s collective leg when he said “Whose soever sins you remit, they are remitted to them; and whose soever sins you retain, they are retained.” He was a big ole kidder that JC feller…

1. Francis says:

Were you there to hear it? Please tell us how you know this is true ?

1. Gus says:

Francis – you believed your mother when she said to you, “this is your father.”
        Were you there? How do you know she was telling you the truth? It is called Faith and Trust.

2. Gus says:

Francis – you believed your mother when she said to you, “this is your father.”

3. Francis says:

You’re delusional and a sophist. You can see your mother, you can do a DNA test of your mother, there can be a video of your birth … I can go on for hours.

However, you offer zero evidence of your assertions and use a totally useless analogy that shows no knowledge of debating or even a whisper of cogent thought. You are a cult member and acting like one. Wake up.

4. Gus says:

Francis – your obvious anger seem to be impairing your ability to read and comprehend. Maybe you should take a look at my comment again and ponder its meaning before you resort to childish name calling.

The point was, you believed your mother when she told you who you father was…without any evidence of such. You simply took it on faith and trust in your mother that the man she claimed to be your father was, in fact, your father. Did you demand a DNA test to prove that he was your father…I doubt it. I could provide you example after example of things you “believe” in but have no first-hand knowledge of. This is called faith, my friend.

P.S. May God Bless you…I have prayed for you.

35. Matt says:

Logically, and perhaps from a heart to help people, you ask why God does not heal amputees, and you shake your fist at God for not healing amputees. If God is who He says He is, then He will take care of that.

My question to you is, “How is a guilty sinner made right with a Holy God?” His Holiness is not wrapped up in whom He chooses to heal or not heal, his Holiness and moral perfection is wrapped up in who He IS, His Character.

For those of us in Christ, that is, Forgiven, death is a welcome healing and graduation. For amputees in Christ (my father being one of them), there will be no missing limbs in the New Heaven and New Earth (most commonly referred to as ‘Heaven,’ but Scripture describes as a literal city – very large, as well!). This is the ultimate healing to come by Christ.

So, for the amputee outside of Christ, there is no healing. For the amputee ‘in Christ,’ there is healing; but not in regrowing a limb. God has not chosen to manifest Himself in that way; but He is not limited to do so. Let me ask you this: If you were to see a man spontaneously grow a limb, would you believe? Or if a man were to raise from the dead, would you then believe?

Or are you just looking for reasons to shake your fist at God? A Holy God, mind you?

36. thraser says:

I think I’m going to become a catholic. You can do whatever you want and then go to confession and all is good……

1. jerry says:

Yes, we’d probably have a lot more members if that were the case, unfortunately you have to go to confession with a penitent heart, meaning you desire to sin no more. Your confession isnt valid if you intend to just keep doihng what you want.

37. Mark says:

One more way for the church to collect information on its members. Read On This Rock by Dave Leonard, it’s a novel about the church that will make you want to stay as far away from anything catholic as you possibly can.

1. Jan says:

1. CANmann says:

and you know this how? How do you know that everyone in the world who believes in a god are delusional? Have you interviewed all of them??? Folks with greater minds than you or I have reasoned to the existence of God. And since the greater majority of humans believe in a god (of sorts anyway) would that not make you the delusional one? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think you’re delusional, just misguided.

2. Deborah Sobwick says:

I talk togod and he answers me. You should try it sometime. If I am delusional leave me in peace with my delution. It’s a great feeling. Read the book “conversations with god” Or read “first and last men and The starmaker by Olaf Stapledon

2. jerry says:

Wow, the conspiracy theorists are out today. Mark, the program doesnt give infomation to your priest, it just helps you prepare for a verbal confession. Confession can be anonymous if you want (from behind a screen) and priests do not keep, use, or do anything with the information given in confession. For over 2000 years people like Dave Leonard have tried to harm the church with lies and distortions. Yet as Jesus himself said, “not even the gates of hell shall prevail against it.” You should always ask youself what people are trying to sell you when they seek to turn you against a good and holy God? What are they going to replace God with once you have abandoned him?

3. Tom says:

Novel = Fiction.

1. Deborah Sobwick says:

novel = partial fiction

38. SaveAndKnowIt says:

II Timothy 2:5: For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Matthew 23:9: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

There’s only way way to be saved and confess your sins and that’s through Jesus Christ — not a priest (a priest is a sinner too).

John 14:6: Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

1. SavedToo says:

The Bible says that Jesus was God that was manifested in the flesh (John 1:1, 1:14). He died on the cross (Rom 5:8) and rose again to pay for our sins.

Romans 10:9 says “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”

Nowhere in the Bible does it say to confess your sins to men. Beware of this app. It’s a lie! That isn’t how you get saved. You have to trust in God’s Son Jesus and let him forgive you of your sins. All have sinned, but he hasn’t.

1. Ryan says:

Sorry, but it does explain in the Bible to confess your sins to other mortal men. There are other passages beyond this one, but this is from Christ himself according to John.

20:19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20:20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 20:21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

2. SavedToo says:

Ryan, now that Jesus has died on the cross and rose again, it is no longer required to go to a priest. Jesus is now our high priest and our sacrifice for sins. In today’s time, we do not go to any other man to ask forgiveness of our sins. However, if I did something wrong against you, I would ask you for your forgiveness. You would forgive me, but I would still need to get the forgiveness from God for the sin itself.

3. SavedToo says:

Jerry,

Again, you can’t take the verse out of context and quote only part of it. Matthew 7:21-23 says “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess until them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This verse says that those that are trusting in their own works (those that work iniquity) to get to Heaven — those that are good — those that even cast out devils and do many wonderful works — the Bible says God will tell them to depart, that he NEVER knew them. It is the will of the Father that you come to Jesus by faith and accept the free gift that was already paid on the cross.

Romans 10:3 says, “For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.”

Many examples where Christ tells about going to Hell and not going to Heaven is where he is talking about those trusting in their own goodness to keep themselves saved and not trusting in God’s righteousness.

You are incorrect when you argue a “momentary belief” not saving. True belief is when you repent — turn from your way — to God’s way and when you truly do that, it is permanent — not momentary.

Yes, “repent” means to change your mind or turn — not spill out all of your sins to some man. Use scripture against scripture to define something. Exodus 32:14 says “And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do until his people.” It is saying the Lord changed his mind. In verse 12, it says “…Turn from they fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against they people.” Moses was pleading with God to change his mind. He was not telling God to confess his sin. God has no sin!

2. jerry says:

If your going to quote the bible, you should throw in all the places where Jesus directly tells the people to confess their sins to one another. Repent and be baptized were the requirements repeatedly stated by Jesus and the disciples to join the new church. Jesus also gave his disciples “the power to lose and bind sins” a direct contradiction ot your indirect argument. And of course all Christians call their parent “father” so the passage is not a literal passage, but a reminder that even above your biological father or any priest or any leader of any sort – God is the Father of us all, and who we serve first.

Yet, you are also right that no man comes to the Father but through Jesus. That does mean Jesus did not appoint men as his representatives here on earth, or that Jesus did not establsh a Church. A priest does not forgive sins, Christ does through the process of confession.

1. SavedToo says:

Jerry, “repent” means a change of mind, or to turn from. When you repent, you change from trusting in how good you can be to go to Heaven, to Jesus and how good he was that died for us on the cross and rose again so that we can trust on Him to go to Heaven.

When you quote a verse, you must quote the entire verse and not take it out of context. Mark 16:16 says “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believe not shall be damned.” Of course you should be baptized — after you are saved. Baptism always follows salvation, not before. You get saved and then get scriptually baptized to show his death, burial, and resurection. The second part of that verse confirms that if you don’t believe, then you are doomed to Hell.

Romans 10:13 says “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Regarding “father”… Of course you call your physical dad father. The verse is talking about calling other men “father” in the spiritual sense. There is only one Father and that is God the father. We are not to come to other men calling them father — those who step in the place of God and take your salvation and sins into their own hand. Again, you must read the verse and the surrounding verse and not take them out of context.

2. jerry says:

Saved too
        It is precisely by taking the verses out of context that you are able to mangle the meaning. Not only that, but to mangle the actual meaning of words. You seriously suggest that repent means to trust? You have to look at the lengths you will go to make Bible conform to your beliefs when you must alter the plain meaning of words.
        You also ignore Jesus direct statement that the apostles were given the power to forgive sins by Jesus?
        You also ignore Paul’s direct statement referring to himself as Father?
        You also ignore the fact that you do not call a priest Father as a man, but only as a representative of God.
        The primary context problem is pulling out the statements that state a requirement of belief in Jesus as God for salvation, and making them bear more than is meant. You impute into the meaning that a momentary belief = permanent salvation that cannot be undone.
        So you quote Romans: “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved,” but you ignore Jesus own words when he said “NOT EVERYONE who calls me Lord, Lord shall be saved.” Jesus details in fact those who falsely honor Christ with belief and ritual, but fail to honor him with their actions “feed me, cloth me,” etc.
        There are dozens of examples of Jesus making it clear that certain actions lead to damnation and the apostles making it clear that not simply “Faith alone” equates to salvation. All of those must be mangled to mean something than what they plainly say.
        Research and you will find that the early Christians as led by the very people not only living with Christ, but imputed with the knowledge of the holy spirit by God himself, baptized their infants. To argue that over a thousand years later someone finally “got it right” with regard to baptism is rather vain. In reality, it is simply another way in which the bible and history of Christianity must be re-written to conform to your beliefs.
        If baptism IS salvation, then it must come after profession of faith. If baptism is a free gift of the holy spirit washing away original sin and bringing the child into Christ, then it can pre-cede the profession of faith. The irony here is the “faith only” belief system professes salvation as a free gift from God with no requirements of the individual, but of course there is a requirement of the profession of faith itself. Here that requirement forces the denial of the one of the true free gifts of Christ, which is the baptizing of an infant, despite their inability to profess the faith.

39. Don in Florida says:

Hey Wally… Don’t worry about us mentally ill people.. rather you should worry about how Satan has you wrapped around his finger… … and how he will reward you for mocking God!!! your end will be in the lake of Fire…

1. Francis says:

You are no different than some middle eastern nut that believes his god is the only one and that it even exists. That’s called being a degenerate. If people accept your version then they have to accept those that believe in Leprechauns. You’re delusional too.

40. The Barrister says:

Dom, read your Bible. that human nature could be used by God as an instrument of grace and forgiveness. He said “That you may know that the Son of Man has the power to forgive sin…” (Mt. 9:6; Mk 2:7-10; Lk 5:21-24). The Hebrew title He used was “ben Adam” meaning “Son of Adam.” This was the Hebrew way of saying “a human being.” Jesus always gloried in His Humanity, since through It He redeemed us. He communicated this authority to His Apostles on Easter night, “Whose sins you shall forgive they are forgiven, whose sins you shall retain they are retained” (Jn 20:19-23). In this way He gave the Apostles the power to give “Peace” (v.21), which is nothing less than the reconciliation of man with God.

41. MorganGray says:

And people who hide behind the anonymity of the ‘net to make personal attacks and cast aspersions are cowards.

1. youarefullofyou says:

post you phone number and address then?

42. MorganGray says:

Back in the heyday of the “Cyberpunk Movement” in science fiction, one novel, I think it was either “Islands in the Net” or “Umbra”, there was a fictional phone number of all zeroes; sort of an absolutely neutral confessional / suicide hot-line / shoulder to cry on. You could vent for free and no one would interrupt you. At the end of the call, all you’d hear was, “I want you to know that someone heard you.”
    While this isn’t exactly the same thing it does have the same effect. You can unburden yourself with absolutely no consequences.

43. NewCruelty says:

There’s an app for that.

44. coot says:

BOGUS CLAIMS ABOUT iPHONE CONFESSION APP
    Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on how Internet sites have characterized last week’s announcement that a Confession application is now available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users:

“Confession: A Roman Catholic App” was developed by Little iApps to prepare Catholics for Confession. Specifically, the application guides Catholics through an examination of conscience, steering them through a series of questions that tap into issues addressed by the Ten Commandments. It received an imprimatur from Bishop Kevin Rhoades of Fort Wayne-South Bend.

Patrick Leinen, the developer of Little iApps, cannot be faulted for the way some are characterizing this program. This application was never designed as a substitute for Confession: on the contrary, it makes it clear that only absolution by a priest in the confessional constitutes the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Even though most Internet stories mention this, many of the headlines are misleading. Here are some of them:

• “Can’t Make it to Confession? There’s an App for That”
    • “Catholic Church Approves Confession by iPhone”
    • “Bless Me iPhone for I Have Sinned”
    • “Catholic Church Endorses App for Sinning iPhone Users”
    • “US Bishop Sanctions Cell Phone in Confession”
    • “Forgiveness via iPhone: Church Approves Confession App”
    • “New, Church-Approved iPhone Offers Confession On the Go”
    • “Confess Your Sins to a Phone in Catholic Church Endorsed App”
    • “Catholics Can Now Confess Using iPhone App”
    • “Catholic Church Approves Online Confession”

Headlines like these, coupled with remarks like, “The Church is gonna make a killing…$1.99 and your sins are digitally washed away,” are irresponsible. The best we can say about those pitching these bogus claims is that they are clueless. The worst we can say is that they might benefit from purchasing the app and putting it to good use.

45. Erik Whittington says:

cost $2!!

1. Mary says:

Are you any relation to Roland Whittington from Texas?

46. autdrew says:

You are not confessing TO the app, you still have to go into the confessional & speak to the priest in person. What this is is an examination of conscience to help you think of what you need to confess. This does not take the place of a priest as the phone cannot give you absolution. Hope this makes sense.

1. Don in Florida says:

Autdrew, wake up!!! Catholic Priests can not for give sins… and Catholics need to read thier Bible… read…
      Luke: 5:20 – 26
      20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”
      21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
      22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”
      25 Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today!”

1. jerry says:

I read, as I have many times, that passage and it does not in any way refute God’s ability to use priests as confessors. If anything, it makes those who rationalize away the use of confession look a little bit like the Pharisees who denied Christ’s ability to forgive sins. Christ gave his disciples the power to loose and bind sins on earth, yet you would deny he had the power to do that?

2. Gus says:

Spot on, Jerry!

3. CANmann says:

Then there’s that little passage in St Matthew Mat 9:8 When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men.
        He gave authority to MEN!!!. Note, not to a man, but to MEN, plural!!!

Comments are closed.