Delaware County Proposes Fine On Residents Who “Save” Parking Spaces

DARBY TWP., Pa. (CBS) – Officials in Darby Township, Delaware County, are proposing a new ordinance that could fine residents as much as $300 if they use chairs and other items to “save” parking spaces they shoveled out near their residences.

Some residents, who say they have a right to guard their spaces after hours of clearing snow, are unhappy with the proposal which will be voted on Wednesday night. Under Pennsylvania’s Motor Vehicle Code, it is illegal to block any area on a public street or highway.

Most police departments, including Philadelphia, do not strictly enforce the provision unless neighbors begin fighting over spaces or someone files a complaint.
Chief Michael Chitwood says his officers, in Upper Darby, do not routinely cite residents who mark their parking spaces after snowstorms unless they receive complaints.

A second proposed ordinance would also fine residents who shoveled snow back into the street after plows passed through.

Watch the video…

Reported by Walt Hunter, CBS 3

Comments

1. MEBDATRUTH says:

ALL CAPS CUZ I’M FUMING. PREGNANT I SHVLD OUT A SPOT N DIDNT PUT A CHAIR OUT. NGHBR FRM ACRSS THE STREET TOOK SPACE. SO 4 NOW ON…I SHOVEL I SAVE!!! $300.00 IS A LOAD OF U KNW WHT..& WHO FINES THEM 4 BEING…UM…RIDICULOUS??? THS SNW WS HVY & DEEP. Y ON EARTH SHLD SUM 1 PARK WHERE I LABORED? I DO MY NEGHBORS STEPS & SIDEWALK..BUT I AINT WLKN ROUND DA CORNER CUZ SUM 1 TOOK A SPACE I CLEARED. OR R WE SUPPOSED 2 KEEP SHOVELN OUT SPACES? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Natalie says:

I understand if you shovel, then for a day or two sure, your kind of entitled to that spot….but the weather warmed up and melted the snow, in NE Philly, on my block, people even today are still saving spots…I am 9 months pregnant and cannot get a parking spot on my block (which already doesn’t have enough spaces for all the people living there) and haven’t been able to in a week, because I put my chair back on my lawn after a few days, and I thought others would do the same.

3. Mel K says:

It’s just common courtesy and consideration for your neighbors. If the neighbors got a long, there wouldn’t be any issues.

4. john says:

Its obvious ZZBAR and Rick live in an area with off street parking.. Why throw in you 2 cents if it does not effect you..unless it does and you don’t own a shovel..

5. Snoey says:

Spoken like two true septa riders. Afte spending half a day digging out last year i ran to the market….my neighbor pulled his suv in my spot. In a citybwithout courtesy, you save your spot.

6. Dave Loggins says:

WOW a story about Darby Twp and Mike Chitwood gets air time.
    Media Mike never met a camera he didn’t like.

7. Rick says:

II think this a good idea for the police to enforce a law already on the books..just because you dug a spot out for your car on a city street doesnt mean you own part of the street..that is total BS..everyone should complain to the PD if they see this happening.

1. ZZBAR says:

Yes a very good law that should be enforced.

Comments are closed.