Police Capture Suspect After Car Chase On I-95

BRISTOL TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) – A suspect was taken into police custody after leading police on a chase that began in Delaware County and ended in Bucks County.

Police say Paul McCurry, 19, was driving a stolen 2008 black Pontiac coupe on I-95 in Tinicum Township, Delaware County when police tried to stop him. Authorities say he took off on 95 North, crossing into Philadelphia.

The chase began in Ridley Township, Delaware County at about 6:30 a.m. and ended in Bristol Township, Bucks County around 8:30 a.m.

“At mile marker 27, which is a couple miles past Girard [Avenue], the pursuant vehicle struck another vehicle,” said Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Danea Durham. “We don’t have an exact speed he was going, but I’m sure it was at a higher rate of speed.”

The chase ended on northbound I-95 near Route 413 in Bucks County with the suspect’s stolen car spinning out of control and crashing against a guardrail.

Police say McCurry ran down an embankment toward a wooded area near Route 413. Bensalem police used a K-9 team to search an industrial area near Newportville Road. They eventually caught up with McCurry in a fenced-in area, and he was taken into custody around 8:30 a.m.

There are no reports of any injuries.

Watch Video:

Reported By Al Novack, KYW Newsradio; Ben Simmoneau, CBS 3

Comments

1. Rich says:

I spotted three officers at the corner of Newport and Newportville Roads @ close to 8:20a this morning. When I first recognized them, I thought they were a few teens, They didn’t look official until I was up close passing by. I was concerned they were crossing the street. I slowed down because they looked like they could cross either road. Kudos to the Police though. Great job!!!

1. TROY W DAVIS says:

I WAS DRIVEN THE TRUCK THAT HE ALSO HIT GETTING ON THE HIGHWAY FROM STREET ROAD… HE WAS MOVING ABOUT 115 MPH, I HAD TO JUMP OUT OF THE LANE SO HE WOULD NOT HIT MY TRAILER….

2. ... says:

leave him alone maybe he wasnt thinking rite! Ever think he has a family and a little sister how you think they feel about it! the press should be sued for releasing his name!

1. Tim says:

Leave him alone? Are you serious? You the little sister? The dude is over 18 so his name should be said. The guy shouldn’t be dumb enought not only to steal the car but to think he could get away.

Some how I think you would feel differently if it was YOUR car he stole.

3. E J says:

I work right next door to the crash and drove by the apartment complex this morning at 7:55am on my way to work. The cop cars were already lined up on 95, I could see them from the road. The same road the idiot ran across to get into the apartment complex. There were 3 helicopters already there and CBS3 was one of them. So I think its pretty wrong of them to say the crash took two hours when clearly the guy escaped before 7:55am when I passed them.

4. W.P.B. says:

How does it take over 2 hours to get from Ridley in Del. County to Bristol in Bucks. Dude must have been driving real slow.

5. Terry says:

Did the perp honestly think that he/she would get away???

6. jhill says: