WILMINGTON, Del. (CBS) – A woman remains in the hospital after being knocked down by an electrified sidewalk grate while walking in Delaware.
The freak accident happened at about 5:45 p.m. Monday on Centerville Road under DE Rt. 141 overpass in Wilmington.
According to police, the 37-year-old woman was walking with her teenage son when she stepped on a metal grate in the sidewalk that had an exposed live electrical wire underneath of it.
The victim was electrocuted and knocked to the ground. She was able to call 911 using her cell phone.
She was taken to Christiana Hospital where she is being treated for non-life threatening injuries. Her 14-year-old son was not injured.
It was learned that the grate and wire were owned by the Delaware Department of Transportation who responded to the scene and made the necessary repairs.
Reported By: Steve Beck, CBS 3