‘Christmas’ Removed From ‘Christmas Village’ Sign

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The sign that hangs above the 80 wooden booths that make up the traditional European Christmas Village on the west side of City Hall used to say “Christmas Village,” but on Tuesday morning, it was missing a word.

The sign, strung up in lights, says just “Village.”

City Managing Director Richard Negrin says workers took the word Christmas down because of complaints.

“I’ve received a number of complaints throughout the past few months and apparently over the past several years about the fact that village wasn’t more inclusive,” Negrin said. “It really is not just a Christian village, it’s more of a holiday Village.”

Passers-by are not so sure. Daryl says he appreciates that people practice different religions, but he questions the removal of the word Christmas.

“It’s a Christmas Village. It just happens to be here at City Hall. Everything looks so nice, and now, all of the sudden we just have Village up there,” he says.

“I know there are different religions, as far as Jewish religions that believe in Hanukah and African Americans that believe in Kwanza, but they should just keep it Christmas, I mean that’s what it is,” added Les Milling.

Negrin disagrees.

“I think for every person you find who is offended, you’re going to have scores of people who feel like they’re included in the village now as opposed to before.”

The story of the young Jewish boy and several others, is why German American Marketing Inc. and the city has decided it would be best to design a fixture that reads “Holiday” instead of “Christmas.”

Officials say they hope to have the new holiday sign up next week. It will appear next to the word Village.

Reported by Jim Melwert, KYW Newsradio and Jericka Duncan, CBS 3

More from Jim Melwert
Comments

1. Deb55 says:

OK…I suggest all Good Christians stay home next Christmas and not visit this Village…no purchases from the Village or it’s supporters. Surely there will be enough other religious visitors to pay the bills!!

2. Curtis Livingston (NewsTonightAnd EWNFan) says:

I hope they put the sign back up again. I went through the Village last year, it was touching. I want that same feeling to be repeated this year.

3. DONNA AZZ says:

The people running the city are SICK, but they can not stop me from telling EVERYONE I MEET MERRY CHRISTMAS.

That is how to keep CHRISTMAS alive

SPREAD THE WORD

MERRY CHRISTMAS

1. KELLY says:

amen donna. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. LET ME REPEAT THAT….M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S…. M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S….

2. Marie says:

Amen Donna! I am so sick of these ‘politically correct’ people changing things. There’s not a darn thing wrong with wishing people Merry Christmas…people are removing ‘Christ’ from the holiday? No way!
      I am happy they are putting the Christmas sign back. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

4. Christopher Latzke says:

I am a Christian and a German. I’m offended that it WAS taken down. The literal translation of a German “Weihnnachtsmarkt” is “Christmas Market”. So, in short rather than just remove ‘Christmas’, to feel more inclusive it could just read “Christmas Market”, or would that just confuse the other half of all the ignorant people out there considering it’s located near Market Street!?! Give me a flippin break!

I want to be proud of MY heritage and MY beliefs, and if we can’t even show a sign that says “Christmas” in such a ‘FREE’ world, then maybe NO ONE should ever use that word in ANY context ever again, then how will people feel? Interesting isn’t?

If you are so damn upset about this because you may not celebrate Christmas, how about you stop dragging everyone else’s spirits into the ground with you and create a “celebration” of your own!!! More power to you.

I will be performing at the Christmas Market at City Hall in the next coming weeks with pride and a lot of different songs and arias from around the world. WHY? Because that’s how freedom and humility should be celebrated during Christmas!!!

5. nitrous says:

Also – I was vacillating between the Philly Christmas Village and Bethlehem’s Christkindlmarkt for shopping at Kathe Wohlfahrt. City Hall just made my decision for me. At least Bethlehem makes no apologies and has the “balls” to call itself “Christmas City”.

6. bottomline says:

Thanks Elvis Tea Party – well said! – Como Tea Party Member

7. ELVIS TEA PARTY MEMBER says:

Today in Philadelphia a tragedy has just occured… The rights of the people has been infringed by this new radical government that has taken over the land. When they try to take the one holiday that dinfes us as Americans when they try to take away Christmas… When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.–Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government…. These my friends are the words that were written by the fathers of our country …. This country was founded on these principals we cannot permit this to happen in Amercia when the needs of the few are over looked by the needs of the many it is a very sad day…. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances…. THIS IS A GRIEVANCE !!! We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. My friends If this happened anywhere else it would not be a big deal. But this Is happening in Philadelphia the Birthplace of “FREEDOM” the home of Independence Hall the home of our Liberty Bell…. We cannot or shall not call Christ’s birthday anything else but a birthday but never the less it is Christmas…. Our country was founded on the belief of Christianity, we cannot lose one of the simple factors ,that define us to be Americans !!! If we are to change the name of Christmas to Holiday we are to change the definition of our character if not Americans then what are we ? We are defined by our actions ! Our character is at stake and the world is watching us ! (IF YOU ARE A SON OF LIBERTY I BECKON YOUR CALL , SO I SAY STOP THIS MADNESS, FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS ! FIGHT FOR FREEDOM ! FIGHT FOR CHRISTMAS !!! )

1. Catholic says:

Tired of people blaming the Government for Any Occurence. The Government had nothing to do with this. An weak individual reacted to an “alleged” story. So he says and I quote from the article: :“I remember hearing one story in which a small Jewish child walked past the village and saw Christmas and asked his dad how come we don’t get a village?” said Negrin, who said the move to remove Christmas is about being inclusive. In my opinion, being “inclusive” is allowing that innocent little Jewish boy to have his Hannukah City.
      This is a free Country with a freedom to practice any religion. Everyone should be able to have their own “city” if they so chose. So please put “Christmas” back in “my Christmas”.That is what “Christmas” is: “The Birth of our Lord Jesus Christ”. Thank you. Happy Holidays to All.

8. Cindy says:

Would that village be there if Christmas did not exist? Do Christians have first amendment rights to express their relious beliefs and celebrate their religious holidays? This “political correctness” is total nonsense. W eare supposed to be striving for a world of peace , but we cannot allow people to express their beliefs in public places. That is ridculous! We need to stop this NONSENSE now! Many, many people are getting very tired of it.

My family and friends will find other Christmas villages to do their shopping this year! And I hope others will join us!

9. Boycott says:

We need to BOYCOTT shopping at this “Village” until the Christmas sign goes back up. Let’s face it people, $$$$ talks, and if the merchants who paid to set up shop there are not seeing the customers and making their revenue, they will complain and will not come back next Christmas. Mayor Nutter and the money collectors of this event need to step up to the plate and allow Christians to celebrate their most sacred time of year without being persecuted. Avoid shopping in Philadelphia altogether! If Philadelphia does not want to welcome Christians and people who are not offended by Christmas, there are plenty of other places to shop and enjoy Christmas and with much easier accessibility. Christmas Candyland, here were come! Go Hershey!! Please post other places who welcome the celebration of Christmas.

1. Pete Conicelli says:

EXACTLY!!! BOYCOTT. You dont respect the Christian belief, the Christian holiday, the Christian vocabulary by which this city and country was founded, then WE WILL BOYCOTT!!! I’ll see you in Hershey and other parts of Pennsylvania that honor “CHRISTMAS”…….

10. Katy says:

I have made numerous complaints to the City of Brotherly Love about dangerously constructed buildings, abandoned vehicles, etc., all to no avail. When the city articulates that there have been complaints regarding the “Christmas” village, automatically they tear down the “Christmas” half of the reading. Nevertheless, MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY CHANUKAH, AND HAPPY KWANZA TO ALL.

11. Steve Camuccio says:

I guess they’ll change the name of the lighting of the city “Christmas tree” to the lighting of the “Holiday tree”. What nonsense this is. It’s just another example of the small minds that run the city. I was born and raised in Philadelphia and i am embarassed by this. City of Brotherly love?? Ha! City of religious intolerance.

12. Theresa L. Sisian says:

Before World War II the leader removed everything relating to our Lord Jesus Christ from the general public. That included the Holy Bible and where did it get them? I’m outraged our local and federal govenment listen to only a few which cause so much pain. They took prayer out of schools and now our schools are not safe for our children. WHY???

13. Theresa L. Sisian says:

Before WWII they took The Load Jesus Christ out of the reach of the public. This is not how God wants us to treat His Son who pleases him. Our local and federal Government had best take note of the past before they do these stupid acts. Have they not learned from all the violance in our schools which took place after prayer was removed. God please forgive them for they know not what they do!!!!!!

14. Center City Christmas Cheer says:

OK ….. I think I have a resolution. Make it the Christmas, Chanukah, Kwansa, et al Village. My apologies if someone thoght of this before. Mayor Nutter, City Council how about standing up for Free Speech.

If I complain about all the taxes will they be removed?

Let Christmas be. Embrace it, Why don’t those who complained come up with a “Village” for them. Complaints are too easy, tolerance and acceptance are harder for those who take that path along with these “Gutless” politicians.

15. Angel says:

I just re-read the article. It mentioned about the little Jewish boy asking about the Village name, but it DID NOT say he or his Father complained about it. I truly think that the “complaints” were made up.
    If all religions were as accepting as Christianity, there would be no problems like this. It is definately Christian bashing, but they can’t take Our Lord JESUS CHRIST out of our hearts.

16. sammyl says:

For those who complained and eventually removed Christmas from the sign you can congradulate yourself on achieving the opposite reaction for peace and harmony amongst different religions. Yes instead of good Christmas spirit you have caused resentment towards other relligions etc. even though the vast amount of them have no issue with it at all. What it is is pure selfishness on their behalf….bah humbug you scrooges!

17. Angel says:

The Jewish are NOT offended by Christianity. The Muslims however are offended by ANYTHING we Americans believe in.I would be willing to bet if we could find out just who complained and how many supposed complaints there were You would more than likely find Muslims & Atheists behind them.indeed there were complaints!! (NO I’m NOT Jewish)

1. Angel says:

I guess my comment is waiting for moderation because… WHY????

18. Wayne says:

This is getting a bit old with all of this PC stuff. If you don’t like it don’t look. It has been there for years so why change it now. I wonder is Negrin Jewish??? How after so many years are there all of a sudden compliants. I can live with the Holiday Village but it should have been left alone.

19. Meg says:

This news is upsetting. Here we are again trying to remove the name of Christ from Christmas. American has sold out. Our country was founded on the Bible and Christianity. Do you really think that if we went to another country that they would allow us to force our belief in the Lord Jesus Christ on them? Think again.
    The Bible clearly states in Psalm 9:17, “The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God”. Take a look around you. Watch the news. Our children are lost. Prayer & the Bible have been removed from our classrooms. Look at the chaos (need I say more). This country is reaping what it is sowing!
    If you don’t want to mention “Christmas” then don’t celebrate it, stop making money from it, and don’t take off of work for it.

God Bless you brothers & sisters who are taking a stand for Christ. Fight the good fight of faith!

20. Mom of 5 says:

Philadelphia…this is absurd. It is a Christian holiday and it is for this reason that we celebrate. Please leave Christ in Christmas, and that should not eliminate anyone. We can all celebrate the reason for the season together!

21. Katy says:

It is Negrin who wants “Christmas” out. I never heard any complaint from anyone against anything about that village holds. You want a small Jewish village Negrin, then go find one, just leave ours the way its been all this time.!! I will be conducting interviews on this whole mess, and if I am lucky, either the media or local newspapers will utilize my findings.

22. MERRY CHRISTMAS says:

Mayor Scrooge and the city council full of Ginches are now trying to keep CHRISTMAS from coming. What is next? Well Mayor Scrooge I certainly will not be visiting Philadelphia anytime soon thanks to your stupidity. I am excessively offended by your removal of CHRISTMAS from the signs. Those who complained to you are the idiots who do not celebrate diversity. They are the ones who want everyone to conform to their way of thinking and theirs alone, and you are dumb enough to follow them Mayor Scrooge. Well I say MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!!!!!

23. Steve Davis says:

Does the Village still stay open from “Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve” or will it be “Holiday Eve”? As for the little Jewish child – fine, let there be a Hanukah Village. I would go and not demand that it be changed to “Holiday.” My wife and I were at the Christmas Village when it opened. We will probably not go back to the Holiday Village this year until the City Managing Director learns how to manage. When he says that ““I think for every person you find who is offended, you’re going to have scores of people who feel like they’re included in the village now as opposed to before,” he shows how out of touch he is with reality. If a few complaints can get rid of Christmas maybe we can get rid of him!

24. MERRY CHRISTMAS says:

How about this little hypocritical scene…go to their website – http://www.philachristmas.com….it has nothing changed! Still promoting Christmas Village and everything else. So it seems only the twits at CIty Hall (Mr. Negrin and Mayor “Fluffer” Nutter) are the only ones who are taking this seriously. Guess all the vendors think the $$$$ outweigh the idiocy!

1. I Celebrate Christmas says:

So…everyone who rejects the removal of the word Christmas — send an email to info@philachristmas.com and tell them you want the sign back. I just did. Try to word it in the spirit of Christmas, not ranting and raving which does no one any good.

25. Linarose says:

Okay – help me understand this. Everyone else can have their holiday, religious or otherwise, but I as a Christian cannot celebrate Christmas on the streets, in the stores, at my school and otherwise. I don’t believe the little Jewish boy story for a number of reasons. I work with and know Jewish people. I respect them and their religious beliefs and they do the same with me. I taught my children that other people believe something different and that was their belief,, but I didn’t go out on the streets to take away THEIR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. What do people think December 25th is? Really, someone please answer this for me. It never was, never has been, and to all of you politically correct idiots out there, it never will be anything but Christmas. QUIT MAKING IT YOURS – YOU HAVE YOURS – IT’S ON ANOTHER DATE – CHECK YOUR CALENDARS TO SEE WHEN IT FALLS. Stop forcing me to celebrate your holidays when I don’t any longer have the American freedom to celebrate my religious holidays because you might get upset. Am I taking your prayer rugs and tossing them in the Delaware? Light a menorah but that should be done tonight – it doesn’t get done on the 25th of December anyway. Do I get crazy because someone is selling Buddhas in the Italian Market? You do your thing and I’ll do mine……….that’s what America used to be – founded in the name of God, fought for in the name of freedoms, and an open door to any of you with or without a job. Hopefully, there is a politically correct hell where you can all celebrate whatever you want, but don’t touch Christmas because it won’t be THERE! Merry Christmas to all of you who work so hard to ruin our blessed holiday. You know, the one we were taught in school years ago that was one of our freedoms? Philadelphia is my hometown, but again, God forbid we should insult anyone who isn’t a Christian. Shame on all of you….everyone one of you. I’d like to see a store say no to HOLIDAY signs and yes to CHRISTMAS signs because I would be an eternal, happy, buying customer from that store only. By the way, I’m deeply offended by all this – DOES ANYONE CARE????? No, I didn’t think so.

26. D. Cusick says:

Well, I am just sick and tired of this nonsense. Someone pointed out that the other cultural/religious vendors signed up, knowing full well that it was being touted as a “Christmas Village.” NEWSFLASH – DEC. 25 IS CHRISTMAS DAY. Will the complainers who started this fiasco try to change that next? I wonder who City Hall is pandering to now? Ugh.

I don’t need their stupid sign b/c my faith is strong without it. But I, for one, will NOT spend one thin dime there. If people are unhappy and really want to show that, don’t buy anything. The whole thing is ridiculous.

27. CAPS says:

So because one jewish child complained about it they felt as if they had to change it ! Thank You Jewish child for taking away my CHRISTMAS ! Go open a jewish market with your holiday name !

1. Angel says:

The article DID NOT say the Jewish boy OR his Father COMPLAINED. Just that he asked a question
      . I think that part was put in the article just to get people upset with the Jewish people, when in fact, the Jewish people don’t have anything against CHRISTMAS. The Jewish boy part was being USED. IF IT REALLY EVEN HAPPENED !!

28. Cheryl says:

My husband and I have tickets this weekend to see White Christmas. We went the whole route, getting a sitter so we could spend the whole day in the city. Plans had us going to CHRISTMAS VILLAGE, lunch, more shopping, WHITE CHRISTMAS show and most likely dinner . I’ll thank Richard Negrin now, because we’ll attend WHITE CHRISTMAS the show and head home with our CHRISTMAS money still in our pockets. We’ll go to BETHLEHEM PA and shop at their CHRISTKINDLMARKT. After all, what a better place to spend time at this time of year. I’m sure their city government will appreciate the business. As for the vendors of the CHRISTMAS VILLAGE in question, I do feel bad for your lost revenue, but maybe you can rally supporters to converge on Negrins office with your displeasure, or better yet, find that little kid to speak up. he seems to be pulling a lot of weight and doesn’t even realize it, although that kid is probably a figment of Negrin’s imagination
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

1. Pete Conicelli says:

Richard Negrin probably doesnt care about lost revenue because he, along w the rest of our city democratic leadership, will continue to shoe-in elections, probably rob some more DROP money from the working people, and will return to office year after year……
      Remember Philadelphia there is another party that runs for city government. the GOP keeps Christ in Christmas.
      I’ll be supporting Lancaster, Reading, Hershey, etc. and wont get a parking ticket while doing so, haha!!!
      Merry Christmas

29. Kathy says:

I do not believe that anyone complained about the “Christmas” village name. I have friends/neighbors/co-workers who are Jewish, Muslim, etc. and they all get into the Christmas spirit. Matter of fact, the Christmas spirit has some Muslims celebrating Christmas, even attending parties with alcohol. This is just a political statement. Merry Christmas to all.

30. Mr White says:

What is a Philadelphia? Is it a type of toilet?

31. Robert says:

Are they out of their minds?!

One of my sister’s friends is a Muslim. She and her family celebrate Christmas.
    One of my friends is a Buddhist. He and his family celebrate Christmas.

“Holiday” offends far more people than “Christmas”

To Philadelphia: Take your politically correct holiday celebration and toss it in the Schuylkill.

32. Rich says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL! Way to go Philly you did it again.. making wrong headlines as usuall! I am so sick of the nonsense in this city… whats next? I will always keep Christ in everything because there is only 1. I live here unfortunatley.. and intend to move soon. city officials among other people here ruined this city and country! im fed up. WAKE UP PHILLY and remember….. Christ is here to stay! again MERRY CHRISTMAS

33. embarrased says:

what a disgrace.. this city is a joke… remember to press 1 for english too. if u dont like it leave the country please. we dont want u here anyway

1. D. Cusick says:

I hate that “Press 1 for English” thing, too. NO! This is America and English is our language. Offer “Press 1 for whatever language YOU speak.”

34. Mary says:

From what I’m hearing, these vendors, Jewish, Muslim, whatever, signed up to sell in this Christmas Village before all this nonsense was brought to light. If they did not have a problem agreeing to sell their wares in the
    “Christmas”
    Village, then what is the problem? It didn’t seem to offend them when they knew they were going to make a good American dollar off all of us Christians. What’s next, no Halloween Village, Easter Village, etc. By the way, do I dare say, Happy Hannukah to all my Jewish Friends. Enjoy your Holiday without injustice and bigotry!

f

f

1. Mary says:

By the way, I do have those close to me who are Jewish and I meant what I said, no sarcasm intended. I’m happy for them and they are happy for me as we all get to celebrate our Holldays and embrace and respect our differences. As a matter of fact, I’m going to Hannukah celebration on Friday eve and my friends will be in my home for Christmas as well!

35. Center City Christmas Cheer says:

Acura32tl

Please tell us non readers your point.

1. Kats says:

The point is that Christmas is being eradicated slowly but surely and becomiing just a big spending spree. Christianity is being chipped away little by little. A few years ago, the controversy was about saying “Merry Christmas.” So as not to offend anyone, we were supposed to say “Happy holidays” instead. It seems we Christians are so offensive, that we are labeled en mass “right wing” like we’re a bunch of brainless sheep. I am a liberal and an independent thinker. I am a Christian and I AM OFFENDED that other religions seem to be able to do whatever they please and no one disputes it. I respect other religions and expect the same for mine. I hope you get the point now.

36. Center City Christmas Cheer says:

Well if I complain to put the the word “Christmas” back on the board will they do it. It seems the politicians always fold on issues like this because its easy. Will we change St. Patricks day to Green day, St. Valentines Day chocolates to some mondane word?

Here the real issue, you can’t please al the people all the time! This country was founded on certain items, and the christian belief system played a part. The City of Philadelphia was at the center of the initial steps in building this nation. OK enough of the history lesson.

Our politicians should be proclaiming tolerance, diversity in lieu of the watered down holiday word. I absolutley love the diversity of this city. I grew up in a diverse neighborhood and I was fortunate to know (and still am) Jewish, Christian, Catholic (raised). And since my 53 years I have been embracing, all cultures, Asian to Latino, to African to European. If I were a vistor to the City now I wouldn’t know why this “?????? Village” was there? What is it celebrating?

When I was growing up, I celebrated Christmas, I still do. But, I also had the chance to be with our neighbors to celebrate Chanukah (Sorry for the spelling)

It’s not a good move to water down celebrations of peace, hope and joy, no matter what the religion and or culture.

FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!

So please Mister & Madame Council

37. John says:

Way to go Elvis, From tea party,That says it all. But it sounds like Henry needs a Bible for Christmas, some people believe that some contractor built heaven and earth, But I go back to…I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands ,one nation under God with Liberty and Justice for all………………..Merry Christmas to all

38. George Munyan says:

Ah the fruit of true liberalism….include everyone but the majority. The best way to get rid of these guys is to give them power for awhile so everyone can really see their minds at work. No wonder America cleand house in Congress after seeing Pelosi in action. Now Philadelphia has its on home grown fool. What an insult to Christians and all Philadelphians. HOW EMBARASSING.

39. Anna Savage Michael says:

I keep hearing how these “officials” want to celebrate a “holiday” season and not a Christmas seasonl…Can someone please tell me just what holiday season they’re celebrating if not Christmas?
    Whats next…..doing nothing this time of year???
    I don’t live in Philly anymore but I grew up there and my family moved when I was 18…..I remember going to Wanamakers for the “Christmas” LIghts display and driving around with my parents looking at lights. Oh wait….that will be next…Christmas lights will be against the law!!!

40. William Benkert says:

I’m amazaed. This is right over my head! Christmas……..the official 25th December is a Christian holiday on the Gregorian calendar and affirmed as a universal solemn holyday by Pope Gregory the Great. It is an inclusive day for all who believe and for all of good will who do not believe but who wish to repectively share in the joyful spirit and twelve day festive celebration of Christian friends, family adn neighbor belevers.
    I was totally unaware that there is another legal or calendar holiday for the 25th of Dec. I have a problem here with the offensied fussers. I celebrate Christmas, and I am greatly bothered and concerned that a bureaucrat gets to change the constitution for everyone!
    The reasonable and respectful alternative is to propose a holiday for the ursurpers to ask for their own official holiday, and establish a holiday season for themselves.
    Of course, they could have their own Holiday Village on the Plaza, too!
    However, whenever they think of a date, July 5th would probably fit well. It’s back to back with July 4th which protects the 25th Dec.!

41. Ray says:

Philly just can’t get anything right. People are offended when they choose to be offended. Suburban Square on the Main Line, in the center of the highest Jewish population in the area, welcomed Santa last Saturday. The result, hundreds of shoppers flocked to the center and spent money and no complaints!

42. Acura32tl says:

Great work Philiteco!! I am not one to care one way or the other (I am very much an atheist). However all the “authorities” in this country would do well to read from time to time and not take everything their friend/neighbor/relative told them. If i had a dollar for every time someone has spouted blatantly incorrect info about the founding of this country! Stop messaging history already! Read their words!
    Here’s one people won’t believe came from his pen…

“And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter.”

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

1. D. Cusick says:

You may want to peruse this article. It appears that more of our founding fathers believed, than doubted. Again, I’d love to meet you in the last minutes of your life and see if you still refuse to believe.

43. Dee says:

I heard Walnut Theater is changing “White Christmas” to “Snowy Holiday” at first it was going to be White Holiday but then reconsidered because they didn’t want to offend people of color. I’m sure Irvin Berlin (Jewish) would be real happy about this.

44. Philiteco says:

Change the sign!!!! For Pete’s sake… Holiday Market, Christmas Market, Tacky Market… who cares? People on here act as if Christianity its self is under attack, it’s not… all these comments belie the fact that they are just as insecure as those people who complained in the first place. This market is about making money… not the birth of Jesus. If you choose to accept a gigantic, gaudy symbol of capitalism as your religious icon, so be it, but I’m pretty sure Jesus wouldn’t care a bit what word was used on the sign. If the commenters here would spend more time trying to abide by the tenets of JC, and less time worrying about how they’re under attack, we might actually get somewhere as a nation. Christianity is supposed to be about turning the other cheek, loving one’s neighbor, being Christ-like in the world, etc. Before you leave nasty and offensive comments about this article, you all would do well to check in and see how you’ve applied those principles in your own life. Only then should Mr. Negrin entertain your thoughts as a representative of the Christian faith.

A few thoughts: “go back to your country” really? this IS their country. most Jews and Muslims in this city we’re born here, pay taxes, have jobs, vote, serve in the military, etc. You sound like a moron when you say stuff like that. calm down. This is a nation founded first on the nature-based principles of the Native Americans, and particularly the Lenape tribes here in the Delaware Valley. if you don’t like it… then go back to Byzantium.

Also: “This country was founded on Christian principles” Not entirely true… most of our founding fathers were Deists, and only attended Church to for political reasons. Our government is secular, and should remain so. Kudos to Mr. Negrin for attempting to bring us all in for this festive time.

1. Ruby McClain says:

Name another country that has changed their culture, customs, and traditions to accomodate people who do not feel included in their celebrations, whatever they might be. Only in America do we have a few trying to dictate to he majority about how they should think and act. This country was founded on Christian Biblical) principles, and many believe, as I do that Christianity is under attack. Our country is also under attack, and as prophesied, is beginning to decay from the inside out. Why?? Because we have fallen away from the values that kept us stong, and we are leaving God out of everything. It may be about money, but money and inclusion, without Christ, will not save us. I forsee a continuing state of crisis until we get it right. As for how I live my life…I follow Christ and I obey his commandments to “obey his word and to love others.”

1. Anna Savage Michael says:

All of Europe…..Canada…..Anywhere political correctness matters. I wonder what would happen if I went to Iraq and tried to celebrate Christmas? Yet they come here nd freely celebrate their faith and now are part of the problem with us, as Christians, trying to celebrate ours.
        Christianity is under attack and it is because we are a strong people (well we used to be) We are slowly being widdled away at.
        WAKE UP AMERICA….SEE WHATS’ HAPPENING…BOYCOTT….PROTEST….DO WHATEVER WE HAVE TO…..BE POLITICALLY INCORRECT….

2. Pete Conicelli says:

If i’m against a mosque near WTC, i’m a bad person, if i want everyone to pledge allegiance in schools, i’m a bad person, etc. If people attack Christian beliefs, sayings, prayers, they are heralded and praised for making things “all inclusive and politically correct” by people like you, who remain nameless. you generalize your “nasty comment” statement. most of us Christians are sick and tired of having our beliefs and rights tossed aside. you want to be politically correct, then be politically correct TO ALL, and TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT……and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you my nameless historian friend

45. Keith Martin says:

WOW!!!! and just yesterday a black man in MUSLIM garb came up to me on Septas El and asked if i wanted to buy childrens books as a CHRISTMAS gift. Funny how its OK when they profit from it or get the day off but heaven forbid if they had to acknowledge the word itself. Also what about the music thats played, it all has references to the Bibles New Testament but i guess thats next on the chopping block. Tonight December 1st i will be at the Christmas Village protesting that they put the word back in, if you feel the same then please join me and my family.

46. Pat says:

Christmas should be placed back on the sign! City Hall officials you are a disgrace. This is not a holiday season, it is the CHRISTMAS SEASON! Christ is the reason for Christmas Day and the season. You all enjoy having Christmas Day off, dom’t you? I have a Jewish friend and another friend of Indian heritage; who celebrate their Jewish and Hindu faiths. They have no problem with Christmas; they actually enjoy the season and wish me Merry Christmas and have partied in my home during the Christmas season.
    I have some final words to all scrooges out there: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

1. dt says:

well if you take away the word christmas from village change the sign to read thanksgiving day to eve (take out that christmas as well) see how stupid that sounds. cant we just leave things alone why do people have to be so nasty. its the holiday season and that includes CHRISTMAS get over it

47. a proud German-American says:

Mr. Negrin, pack your bags and leave City Hall—-you are a disgrace!!!!
    This is organized by the German-American Society. If you like it or not: Germans celebrate CHRISTMAS!!! They don’t celebrate the holidays or anything else. Just because a few (how many?) are offended by the word Christmas, you have NO RIGHT to change the name of the village. They are offended by the name? What if they are offended by all the products they sell there? Are you taking the ornaments, German food etc. away, too? Don’t you allow them to play German Christmas music? Okay, let’s just put some empty booths up there then, take away all of our Christian holidays, don’t teach our kids any traditions…Poor America

48. Peg-Palmyra says:

If we are forced to remove the word Christmas to be politicly correct. Think about all the other Holidays we should change as well. If it goes for one holiday then it should be for all. No disrespect but how about the Menorah and the Knara being called a holiday candle holders, Need I go on?

49. Deb Bergman says:

I agree with everyone else on here. It is quite hypocritical to take Christmas out of the sign to avoid offending others but they just showed the lighting of the Menorah. Isn’t that religious? What about people being offended by that? Soon we won’t have a Christmas Day rather it will be called Holiday Day which makes no sense since the holiday is based out of Christian beliefs just so a Jewish boy isn’t offended. I am sure the zealots are working on renaming Christmas Day on the calendar. And I am not even a religious person but respect the right of all people to celebrate their beliefs.

1. Mrs. C. says:

I agree Deb! It’s seems like Christmas is taking the hardest hit! Lets say Merry Christmas ,Happy Kwanza,Light a Menorah and stop being so careful as to not offend,most of us do have manners!

50. Bob says:

The people that don’t want the sign to say Christmas should be the ones that are not allowed to have those days off from work. We celebrate Christmas in America – if you don’t like just follow the words of the Gino’s Steaks owner and get out of the country – I refuse to say Happy Holidays whe you are supposed to wish some1 a Merry Christmas – MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL THAT STILL WANT TO SAY THOSE WORDS.

51. maria says:

this is america people come here to live for our freedom they have the right to practice any religion they want but our country was founded on god and in god we trust so if u dont like to see the word christmas u should go back to the country u came from because without out freedoms we r not america anymore nobody stops them from doing as they please and they should do the same for everybody else

52. Tracey Connell says:

I am sorry this annoys me to know end… I celebrate Christmas … not the holidays… Christmas… people need to learn to respect everyone choice of what the celebrate… I happen to celebrate Christmas!!!

53. Viet Vet says:

Superman: I’m here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.
    Lois Lane: You’re going to end up fighting every elected official in this country!
    So, it’s 1, 2, 3, what are we fighting 4?

1. ELVIS TEA PARTY MEMBER says:

Viet Vet We value youR service and patriotism…. I am ex military myself give’em hell

54. Elvis Tea Party Member says:

my comment is awaiting moderation or censorship ?

55. Elvis Tea Party Member says:

56. The voice of reason says:

wow glad i signed on tonight. I was planning on taking my two daughters to the CHRISTMAS VILLAGE tomorrow after school to do some shopping. That just changed. Not going to shop at the HOLIDAY village. I am just curious, it is still called CHRISTMAS day right? Then why are we not allowed to use the word? And to all the complaints and little kids questions, it is called christmas village because that is the holiday we are celebrating. I am sorry this city government or your parents did not take the time to explain that to you when you called to complain. Then again maybe they do not know themselves.

57. STEPHEN BROWN says:

THANK YOU MISTER Richard Negrin FOR GIVING ME AND MY FAMILY JUST ONE MORE REASON TO NEVER GO TO PHILADELPHIA. I’LL BE DOING ALL MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING IN NEW JERSEY.
    STEVE

58. Disgusted with minority 10% says:

Okay…so to stop all the fuss…we will remove “Christmas”, “Easter”, and all other holidays from our calendars. Since we don’t want to celebrate them anymore, then they should be just another day on the calendar. No one can get the day off or any type of bonus.

Oh wait, you want the day off, but don’t want the holiday. Hmmm…bit hypocritical, don’t you think.

Oh yeah, tell your kids there is no Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc. Let’s just take all the happy things kids love and rip it away from them.

Come on America, wake up! If you think this is what the founding fathers wanted, you are a bunch of buffoons.

I will celebrate Christmas and all the other Christian holidays. I will tell you “Merry Christmas” and everything else. If you don’t like it, walk away…but keep your damn mouth shut. Don’t offend my beliefs!

59. Kara says:

The tree lighting must be changed to holiday tree lighting because it may be offensive to other people
    if we can’t have a CHRISTMAS village then we most deffently can’t have a CHRISTMAS tree lighting in new York!
    (being sarcastic) (rolled eyes)
    this is not right

60. Philiteco says:

City Hall should change the sign to “Pagan Village” or “Solstice Village,” since, after all, Christmas is mostly a 1000 year old marketing ploy to consolidate political power in Europe. Not only was Jesus a Jew… I’m pretty sure he was a Taurus, which puts him squarely in late Spring. Here’s a thought, rather than simply “writing” City officials, all these irate Christians should have an Inquisition or a witch-hunt to exterminate all those responsible.

61. tom says:

The city also now has moved the lighting of the City CHRISTMAS tree to thursday because of weather but the lighting of the Hanukkah candle is still on.
    Sounds very strange
    City hall should wise up

62. Gloria Wood says:

When is it going to stop? When I was a child back in the 40’s no one started all this fuss. The Jewish have their HANUKKAH, does any christians want to stop that from being in print or on signs? I say, too bad, this is our holiday, its when Christ was born and it’s Christmas. What is this Russia? Other faiths have their religious days & no one gives a hoot. That Christmas Village had the same name for years & no on has suffered for it.

63. Stephanie says:

why do Christians need to ignore their heritage to be “sensitive” to everyone else’s? i’m sick of being forced to ignore my heritage because i’m not a minority in this country.

64. Hugh Jassol says:

What a disgrace. Mr. Negrin is obviously so consumed with ‘political correctness’ that he will sell his own soul to keep his job. He should be fired immediately and the word Christmas restored to the sign. The Muslims will not take over our country by force, but by the acts of people like Mr. Negrin. It’s called Christmas for a reason – it’s about Jesus Christ!

1. George Neuberger says:

I just hope that everyone remembers this when these village idiots run for office.
      They should take a poll from this thread.

65. Mary says:

Back to the little jewish boy; Jesus was one. Now, any SENSIBLE father would have explained that in the Christian faith and ethnic customs, villages were lit up to aid those lost on their travels find their way home for holiday,just like the shepards. More importantly, the lights serve as symbols of the shining star that was evident in the sky that wondorous night that Jesus was born.This is why it is called a Christmas Village, about Jesus. Don’t jewish kids know about Jesus? Of course they do.. TEACH your children. THAT is how tolerance is learned, in the home by parents first. This leads to respect. INSTEAD, we have a kid who is whining because he doesn’t have this..who is the KID here, Dad? I am a Christian. My children understand the meaning of Hannukah. THEY are not whining because they don’t get 8 days of gifts. I guess the city had to do something. Was the word LAWSUIT used dear old DAD. GROW UP and SHAME on YOU. You lost out on a good opportunity with your son. Mom to 3!

1. Dee says:

Very well said, completely agree.

2. Brit says:

Here, here, well said, and also agree that children should have things explained to them if they do not understand instead of expecting things to be changed according to the ignorant. America is a diverse nation and in order for everyone to get along we must respect everyone’s individual beliefs.

3. katie says:

Well said Mary! I agree wholeheartedly with you!

66. Habitual Malcontent says:

If we are to deny the existence of Christmas then….

1. All city employees should work December 25th. After all it’s just another day.

2. Same for all public school children. See you in class Dec 25th.

1. Cheryl says:

I agree Habitual, it certainly wouldn’t look right for Richard Negrin to take off December 24th. His complainers probably would call for removal of his name.

67. bob says:

when i go and see a movie like ice age maybe they should remove the word age,and just call it ice, because its offensive to all the dinosaurs

68. Thomas Duncan says:

I agree with Mayor Nutter, Mr. Negrin, and their role model King Herod. All methods to kill the spirit should be should be used to insure inclusivness.

69. Greta VanSciver Sandor says:

What the HE**! Has everyone lost their minds. Remember the next time you cash your check that the cold hard cash are you so happy to have says “IN GOD WE TRUST”
    And to the people who keep putting African, Mexican or whatever in front of AMERICAN, which is it are you American or not you cant me both pick one and be proud of it.

70. john says:

anyone else remember this one???, everyone who acknowledges me before men,i also will acknowledge before my father who is in heaven,,,but him who denies me before men,i also will deny before my father in heaven. i used to like you kathy. merry christmas to all!!!!!

71. Steinie says:

I think every single person offended that the word “Christmas” was removed should write City Managing Director Richard Negrin a letter saying so. Maybe he will get more then just a few complaints and put Christmas back up!!!

1. Oh yeah that will get him…

72. Wayne says:

The 1st comment from Ann was good. Hey Kathy Orr, are you afraid you POPULARITY in the Tri-State Area? You call it holiday tree. YOU LOST MY RESPECT and you don’t have a mindset of YOUR OWN. Remember this, ‘Without Christ there is no Christmas. Just remember everyone. Bible says we are living in the Last and Evil days but keep Praying. Jesus has overcome the World. Oh yea, to the Managing(coward) Director and all in City Hall includung the Mayor….You all are now (kathy Orr also) considered puppets with many strings running YOU.

73. ann says:

The Germans brought their tradition a christmas tree and ornaments to this country. They have such a market called christkindlemarkt where they sell Christmas balls and other Christmas items. That is what this is supposed to be, a recreation of a German Christmas market. This is the Christmas season. Every other religioun can use their name and when it comes to Christmas , no one wants to hear it. Kathy Orr referred to the lighting of the tree as a holiday tree. You people don’t realize how stupid you sound. It’s CHRISTMAS TREE. I’m not “holiday” shopping, I’m Christmas shopping. Maybe all the Christmas shoppers should stop shopping until this ridiculous nonsense stops. This political correctness has gone amok. How come it’s only the Christians that are being told what to call their day. December 25th is Christmas Day, not Holiday Day.

1. Kathie says:

Thanks Ann. Won’t be watching channel 3 news anymore!

74. Bob says:

To City
    adminstration,

Get a life.

75. jambro says:

I thought religious intolerance was against the law! Mr. Negrin, you crack me up. I bet it would have stayed up there if the sign said something about Muslims. We don’t dare insult any other religion because that would not be considered ‘inclusive.’ And the poor sob story about the Jewish boy asking why they don’t have a village? Well, go get a village! Here’s the major difference between Christian & Non-Christians. Only Christians are tolerant of all others, respecting the rights of others to practice right next to them whatever they want too, while the complainers are so miserable they want to remove anything they consider as offensive and not per their own beliefs.

76. Suzy says:

Seems like this year more than ever its a crime to offend anyone but a Christian. How dare anyone say anything against atheists or Muslims or gays or minority races or any other religion but Christians! Now there’s an easy target for hate speech!!!!

77. john moo says:

To the City of Philadelphia I QUIT YOU WIN. keep your City of brother love to your self I will spend my Christmas money some place elis like New york, New Jersey, Delaware, hell anyware but Philadelphia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

78. john says:

every time i hear kwanza,hanukkah,ramadan,black histork month,or anything else that doesnt acknowledge my beliefs,im calling to complain. everyone else offended by the removal of the word christmas should do the same! lets stand up for our country people.merry christmas to all! keep christ in christmas

1. D. Cusick says:

I kinda like this, John. I find myself being cautious about saying “God bless you” if someone sneezes b/c of all the “sensitive groups” out there. Maybe I will start raising my voice if someone tries to shove

1. D. Cusick says:

sorry, accidental keying! ….their ideology down my throat. In fact, I don’t need to hear about other faiths and their celebrations. How about a total ban on all tv/radio coverage for all festivities? Yeah, what a nice world that would be. Stupid whiny people.

79. LISA says:

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!! I FIND IT OUTRAGOUS THAT A FEW COMPLAINTS CAN RESULT IN SUCH AN ACT AS TO REMOVE THE WORD..CHRISTMAS FORM THE SIGN. NOW THE NEWS CASTERS ARE RELUCTANT TO SAY THE WORD CHRISTMAS & ARE SAYING HOLIDAY INSTEAD. I THINK WE NEED TO GROW A SET ….AND I DONT MEAN CHRISTMAS “BALLS” AND TELL THE ONES THAT ARE SO OFFENDED TO GO BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM IF THEY DO NOT LIKE OUR CHRISTIAN WAYS!!!….

80. Lottie says:

I think this is a disgrace why are all these people winning you don’t like this country then why don’t you leave/. Ii love America and God who made us.and yes i hope i never see Happy Haunaka anywhere.

81. john says:

it is absolutly absurd that this has happened. they are giving in to a select few who are voicing their opinions saying its a conflict of church and state or they (of other religions) are offeneded by the word Christmas. Christmas is a holiday that is celebrated by the majority and is a time of peace and happiness bringing families together celebrating Christs birth. no one complains about other religous holidays!!!

82. Barbara says:

I am surprised they don’t want Christmas removed from Christmas Eve on the sign. It just like the speaking English, you are in America speak English. You came to America, no one forced you so accept us for who we are and our beliefs. Why did you come here to begin with??? Don’t try to change us if you don’t like it no one is forcing you to celebrate it or stay. Most of our parents came from Europe and they accepted America for their beliefs and practices. No one is stopping you from believing in your religion, what would happen if an American went to your country.

83. donna says:

Terrible that they did this. First of all it was supposed to be copied from a German CHRISTMAS Village!!! I know alot of you are boycotting it but dont take it out on the vendors. It wasn’t them!! You should all be calling city hall and the mayors office! These people are trying to make an income- lets not be insensitive to them.

1. D. Cusick says:

I see your point, but if the vendors cared at all, they would speak out. Sorry, I will take my visiting family elsewhere this year.

84. meme says:

Philladelphia —You just offended more people than the few that complained. I’ll take my money someplace else. MERRY CHRISTMAS

85. B says:

I am Jewish & enjoy the sights & sounds of Christmas. I do not celebrate Christmas, but enjoy the festive time of the year. This decision is crazy. No problem here with calling it Christmas Villiage and it should be changed back.

86. Mary says:

Leonard 76% of the US population is Christain. The reason it matters is because it had been called Chrismas Village for many many years and was only changed because of a few intolerant fools who think everything is about them! I can guarantee you that if every person who was offended that they changed the sign called to complain and decided not to shop there they’d put the sign back up yesterday! Come on people we have the freedon of speech and we need to start calling and e-mailing to express how we feel. Last but not least we need to boycott the ‘Village’, let them feel it in thier pocket and then we’ll see if the sign gose back up.

87. Sally says:

I just shopped there last Saturday. I will be returning the gifts this saturday. Delaware Stores, here I come, Ho Ho Ho

88. Kris says:

Why do we give into these few yahoos who say there shouldn’t be a Baby Jesus statue or it shouldn’t say Merry Christmas. The hell with them, tell them to go live on another planet or something.

89. Celebrating Christmas says:

Interesting how it’s only open until Christmas Eve…..

90. cgDave says:

I will no longer shop at any store there. There are plenty of other places to shop. Let the decison makers make up the difference in lost revenue because there will certainly be some.

1. Kats says:

The village was most likely set up for Christmas shopping, so if Christmas shoppers boycott, then who are they going to sell to? I don’t think other religious groups spend the kind of money that Christmas shoppers do at that time of the year. I wonder what would happen to the overall economy of this country without Christmas shoppers as the economy has become so dependent on them. I’m wondering if the village is even needed if there are no Christmas shoppers buying there.

91. don says:

This is disgusting! It’s freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion! When are these PC whiners going to respect MY beliefs?!?!

Come to think of it, do they still put the big honking MENORAH up on Independence Mall like they used to do every year? And last time I checked, that was on government property too! But that’s ok and this isnt?!?!

92. Jimbo says:

Please give me a break! Just get back at them by not buying anything there. BOYCOTT THE VILLAGE!

93. Milton M. Adler says:

iT IS PATENTLY ABSURD THAT WE GO TO SUCH LENGHTS TO APPEASE A MINISCULE PER CENT OF OUR POPULATION. lET US REGAIN OUR SENSES AND
    PROTEST THE REAL OFFENSES. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

94. Henry says:

So many Bill O’Reilly supporters here. Christianity is just one religion and the Constitution specifically states that government does not recognize religion. You get outraged at the word Christmas being taken down from a government building? That is way off-base; just be glad the government doesn’t tax your silly churches taking up public space. In reality, these churches should be taxed just like any other business. I can’t wait until this generation of god-loving, gay-hating, gunslingers dies off so we can have a secular government. Half of you buffoons still believe Earth was created in seven days.

1. Kats says:

Just for the record, I am no Bill O’Reilly fan and I am a liberal. I must take issue about your statement regarding silly churches taking up public space. Until recently, I lived in Tampa, Florida for ten years. I am not a Catholic, but Nativity Catholic Church in Brandon, Florida has done more than any church I’ve ever known to help the poor. I know because I hit hard times and was a recipient of their ongoing generosity. A few years back in St. Pete, there was a homeless tent city in a public park during the wintertime. Well, it gets chilly even in Florida sometimes in the winter. Many of these homeless people had small children. Along came the cops to chase these people out and just to make sure – the cops took knives to the tents and ripped them all up. It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen in this country. Once again, the Catholic Church came to the rescue, took all of these people in, fed them, housed them and looked for jobs for them for a very long time. I didn’t see any gunslingers among those Catholics and none struck me as a buffoon. It’s too bad you can’t see the good and can only see the negative.

2. jeanne says:

feel sorry for you henry.
      oh by the way Merry Christmas!

3. Suzy says:

Just move to Cuba. There’s a secular government for you….

4. Danielle Bond says:

I find you to be very offensive and rediculous to say the least. Calling people baffoons for faith is unacceptable. You are the reason people get angry and fight for religion. If you feel that this is an silly reason to get upset than that is fine! You have every right to believe what you want. However, do not belittle people for their faith and beliefs. I don’t think there is anything wrong with people who have faith. Secular government is like asking for a utopia- it will never happen. There are too many people with ideas of faith and religion to do so. You talk about God-loving, gay-hating, and gunslingers but youre comments are just as cruel and ignorant. Keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing nice to say. Oh, and God bless you this Christmas!

1. Vince says:

Way to go Danielle! Your point is well thought out, too!

5. BRUCE says:

you don’t like it here henry??? you and all the radicals go back to the middle east where you belong…..and by the way MERRRRRRRRRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

6. Dee says:

Henry Christmas isn’t politics it is a Christian Holy Day that many businesses of all faiths and of no faith profit from.

7. D. Cusick says:

Oh, Henry. And I don’t mean the candy bar. Although I think that may have nuts in it…hmmm. Anyway, it isn’t that the govt. doesn’t “recognize” religion, it can’t endorse one over another. And about the removal of all references to God from govt. buildings, do me a favor. Open your wallet and pull out a few dollar bills. Guess you’ll be wanting to find another form of currency. All of us God loving (and I don’t hate anyone, not even morons like you), will pray for you. Like it or not. And maybe on your deathbed, you’ll see our point. Certainly hope so.

8. Pete Conicelli says:

Oh Henry! pack your bags and move to your favorite “secular” nation and see if you have any rights or freedom……. people in my family fought for your freedom, respect their beliefs in God and country. these churches have schools which save tax payers plenty and actually teach students to say Merry Christmas! so Merry Chistmas (that’s your paid day off dec 25)

95. Jeannie Mac says:

Well I certainly will not be doing any shopping in the “Village” Do they realize that the reason we buy gifts is because we are celebrating CHRISTMAS?? My money will be better spent elsewhere, somewhere that doesn’t exclude the mean reference to Jesus Christ.

1. I love Christmas says:

Henry…you are a freaking moron…and I approved this message!

96. George Neuberger says:

What happened to the Freedom of speech???

If you can’t have a CHRISTMAS holiday, there should be NO holidays! No more Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukah. Maybe some Christians should start a discrimination law suit!

Who the hell voted for these MORONS? It’s a wonder that no one has ever complained about a BLACK Friday!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I’m just exercising my freedom of speech.

If you don’t like it then leave or sue me!

1. Leonard says:

George – that is a very good point! Also wonder why no complaints about wishing for a “WHITE” Christmas? How about “Happy New Year” as the Chinese and Jewish new year is not on January 1!

97. Rachelle says:

Geez. If I complain will they put the word “Christmas” back in.

98. Richard Tucker says:

If this is truly a country of majority rule why not put this to a referendum vote in state and national elections to see what people really want! Our Supreme Court has no backbone and this is not what our founding fathers wanted when they wrote the Bill Of Rights and the Constitution. We are becoming a country of wimps taken over by the minority. Christmas celebrates the birth of christ and if you have a problem, suck it up for the season. Don’t spoil it for the who believe and want to celebrate CHRISTmas for what it is meant. Happy Holiday just doesn’t cut it!

99. Kathy says:

This is so sad. I would like to know who the “people” are that took this down. How many calls were received to justify this? I would think there is a majority that find it offensive that the word “Christmas” was removed. A word that many people who aren’t Christians utilize to their benefit. When businesses and schools close early for the “Christmas” break, the people who are offended by this word should work their regular scheduled hours, or not accept their “Christmas” bonuses. Let’s see how many are offended by that.

1. BRUCE says:

WELL PUT KATHY!!!! MERRRY CHRISTMAS MAYOR NUTTER!!!!

100. Leonard says:

This is complaining for complaining sake – pure and simple. Who cares really. I am Jewish but I will go shop a deal no matter what the sign says. Also, pretty lights and pretty displays are no more pretty just because the word Christmas is there or not.

Try complaining about homelessness or maybe joblessness or some other truly meaningful cause. If they call it Christmas or Holiday Village, does it really matter?

101. Matt Veasey says:

“Believe in” Kwanzaa? Now THAT is apples and oranges, since most who celebrate one spiritually will celebrate the other culturally. Comparing a made-up celebration to that of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ?

The whole thing is OUTRAGEOUS, and just another in a loooong series of examples of why Philadelphia, where I refuse to spend a penny of my hard-earned money this CHRISTMAS shopping season, has gone completely down the toilet in the past few decades.

Thanks again, liberals, for reminding me of what is REALLY important this season: keeping CHRIST in CHRISTMAS…..

1. Kats says:

Suppose Christians in America didn’t Christmas shop at all? Can you imagine what it would do to the economy? Here in Philadelphia, if Christian people stay away from the ex-Christmas Village, I wonder if the village could make up the difference from these other religions as I don’t really know how much they spend during the holidays.

102. Michelle says:

WOW, we are quickly going to hell in a handbasket…this is the CHRISTMAS season, hence, the CHRISTMAS village, what a bunch of BS!!!! Will definitely not be going this year, was looking forward to it..not anymore!

103. RBB says:

Richard Negrin: “I think for every person you find who is offended, you’re going to have scores of people who feel like they’re included in the village now . . .”\

Mr. Negrin, you have it backwards. For every person who was offended by the use of the word Christmas, there are scores who are now offended by its removal.

104. Sue says:

And people want to know what is wrong in this world
    Idoits that allow some goofy people who have nothing else to do but come up with this stupid idea
    It is just not a nice country we are living in these days

Merry Christmas to all

105. Mike and Cindy says:

We are Christians but understand many of the views on this issue, and believe that “Holiday Village” is an appropriate compromise. Even if the derivation, “holy day”, of “holiday” is considered, the word “holy” is non-denominational and does not prefer one religion, or set of beliefs, over another.

106. fed up says:

Be proactive Let them know of your displeasure. I already wrote an email.
    info@philachristmas.com!

In an age where tolerance should be taught and learned, how can this happen? Yes, include others, but don’t exclude a group either. Christmas is a religious holiday. It is Christ centered. It’s a significant holiday to Christians. Christmas is also a secular holiday. The secular holiday of Santa and toys extols the virtue of generosity. What is wrong with that?

What is the point of the village if not to sell merchandise to those celebrating the Christmas tradition? If it bothers you, don’t go. Take your intolerant self back to bed and hide under the covers until January 1.

107. Frank says:

How does one “believe” in Kwanza? It’s a 60’s throwback creation to further separate african-americans from all other races.

108. LD says:

You can take away Christmas on the surface but you CANNOT take away CHRISTMAS from our heart and souls.

Merry Christmas Philadelphia!!!!!!!!

109. Kate says:

Will not be shopping ther this year and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! Why do we have to abide by the morons rules, My belief is CHRISTMAS STOP WITH BOWING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

110. CC says:

Dear Mr. Negrin,
    Jesus suffered greatly and died for your sins – but you can’t even honor him on a sign meant to celebrate his birth. That truly is shameful. Remember we are suppose to have freedom OF religion – not freedom FROM religion.

1. Jesse J. Shutt says:

Amen

111. Port Richmond Voter says:

Just another reason why we need new city leadership. You reading this Mike?

112. Jesse J. Shutt says:

I’m sorry but who went “brain dead” over this issue. The season is called Christmas, just like other seasons are named within the traditions of their cultural roots. Taking the word Christmas away is cultural bashing of a significant part of not only our culture, but our heritage!

Add in a collective forgetfulness and what’s left? A “Holiday” … why keep that word … while you’re at it, lets take it away too since it’s roots come from “Holy Day” … if we’re not allowed to be Holy in the framework of our traditions then the State is getting TOO FAR INTO THE CHURCH rather than separated from it! If this is a country that endorses freedom of religion, then how can the removal of a religious reference be called “freedom” of religion … it sounds more like “censorship” and “sanctioning” to me.

1. Kats says:

Very well said – I couldn’t have done it better. All of the comments are right on target. I think the most best response to City Hall would be the lack of Christian customers – wouldn’t that send a powerful message?

2. Janet Stewart says:

Unbelievable !! You have gone to far !! You should be ashamed of yourselves !!

113. njkate says:

Hhow is it possible that we have permitted the small minded to generate enough noise that the powers that be cave to what is in fact a miniscule percentage of opinions. I’m fairly certain that one of the founding prinipals of this country was and still is freedom of religion. No one is asking anyone else to beleive what they believe and if they are so offended by the use of particular words DON’T GO THERE. It’s as simple as that.

114. Clare Peterson says:

If not for “Christmas” shopping, retail in this country wouldn’t have two nickels to rub together. Exploiting Christmas for financial gain meets everyone’s approval, but just try and acknowledge that it is a meaningful time in the Christian calendar, and all of a sudden, there’s an irreparable tear in the universe!

115. Bob the Grouch says:

Why not, everything seems to go away if makes regular people feel good. This country is not what the our founders fought for all those years ago. Let’s just forget Christmas, Easter, Birthdays and the other special days like the Fourth of July. Just stop the economy and wait for welfare to feed us after all our jobs are gone, the ones that thrive over these Bad Named Holidays. I can’t believe people are offended over the word Christmas

116. Steve says:

Kwanza is not a religion nor is it a religious holiday. I am an African American and I don’t celebrate Kwanza, but I do celebrate Christmas. Like most African Americans, I am a Christian and have no problem with the word Christmas or anything else having to do with the birth of Christ. I am also a liberal and I believe in the doctrine of the separation of church and state, but I would not have condoned the removal of the word Christmas from the Christmas village sign.
    It seems a little extreme to me.

1. Joe says:

No where in the First Admendment dose it say seperation of church and state. Some one made up that term and everyone believes it. Just say Merry Christmas and get on with it

117. cwk says:

Are you friggin kidding me?? And we bow down to these idiots?? ITS CHRISTMAS…MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

118. Dave says:

I have a few more suggestions to get rid of any religious references:
    1) “David’s Bridal” should be renamed “Bridal”.
    2) “Peter’s Seafood” should be renamed “Seafood”.
    3) “Paul’s Driving School”, you got it…drop the Paul.
    4) And while we are at it, rename the state of “Maryland” to “Land”
    If we are going to be complete morons why stop at references to Christmas….

119. Joseph says:

It’s ridiculous! The amont of money alone that Christmas generates would paralyze the economy. Stick Kwanza where it belongs. The majority of ppl who practice it, don’t even know what the he’ll it is…! I’m tired of this nonsense.

120. Lorraine O'Brien says:

Believer:
    This my friends is called Christian bashing! You can take Christimas out of the sign; you can stop nativity scenes from going up but the root is you are trying to rid us of JESUS CHRIST! You can do whatever you please but JESUS CHRIST will always be King of our hearts where He WILL live, reign and rule forever and you can’t touch that!!!!!!!!!!!!

121. George Munyan says:

My family and friends will not be shopping at a place so insensitive to Christians and subserviant to minoirty censorship, Enjoy your “Village” I will go CHRISTMAS shoppping elsewhere.

122. Mary Lou says:

We were going to go for the first time to the “Village”, however now we won’t be. I will join my fellow Christians and boycott. Let’s see what happens when they lose our “Christmas” dollars.

123. joe says:

well thats it for me I certainly wont be shopping there this christmass!!!!!!!

124. Santa Clause says:

And the powers that be went along with it. I wonder how many other groups will have something omitted from there “Holiday Celebrations” ? I’m betting on NONE

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

125. JW says:

It’s the people that don’t have God or Kindness in their heart.
    And yes, no one gets offended when they have Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukah all over. It’s all BS! I would have never taken it down, I would just said well then don’t look at it or don’t come shop at the CHRISTMAS VILLAGE.
    That’s what it is, not a Valentine Village or St Pattys Village.
    Go put as much effort into some volunteer work at a hospital or something, channel your frustration with YOURSELF elsewhere!!!!

126. Willie says:

I believe the majority of the people want Christmas in the Christmas holiday. Stop catering to the minority. Majority should rule. Put Christmas back in Christmas and let the minority learn to deal with it. Where are the rights of the majority?

127. Colleen says:

We were thinking of patronizing the Christmas Village, but not anymore.

1. Kats says:

I won’t be shopping there either – my form of protest. Let’s face it, Christianity is taking a hit all over the place. Christians seem to be lumped together and tagged right wing nuts. Well, I am a devout Christian and I’m a liberal and I am not a nut. I see Muslims fighting tooth and nail for their faith and you don’t dare insult their religion, but it seems to be okay to insult Christianity time and again. Well, it’s not okay by me and I will speak up for my Christian faith even if I’m the only voice out there. Maybe we need something like the Jewish Defense League, only call it the Christian Defense League or Christian Anti-Defamation League. I call upon my fellow Christians to boycott the Village – let them sell to the politically correct shoppers.

128. robby says:

I am really sick of the liberal left taking away Christmas, little by little. If they don’t want to belive in God, fine. Most of us DO believe in God. Conservative Christians should be allowed a place in this country. Why won’t they leave us alone.

1. Kathy says:

I agree with this. For a few complainers we lose Christmas! Now we are all complaining. Will you now put back Mr Negrin?

129. Christmas says:

As far as Jewish religions that believe in Hanukah and African Americans that believe in Kwanza, and when they celebrate they use “Happy Hanukah” or “Happy Kwanza”no one get offended and this are newer but Christmas! Always!, I mean that’s what it is.” I don’t understand why they could be happy taking away something that means so much and do what they want but this is unbeleivable! Call it Holiday? come on! We had enough.

130. Chris says:

It’s CHRISTMAS!!! If you are offended, BFD. Get the hell out!

1. Anna Savage Michael says:

Thats just it…it won’t be CHRISTMAS much longer…it will be the “Holiday Season”. If you don’t like the culture and CHRISTIAN values this country was built on……GET THE HELL OUT!!!!!

131. Kats says:

This is just one more nail in the coffin of Christmas. The minority rules.

132. ADI says:

unbelievable!!!!

133. american says:

if they dont like it the should leave .this is our town and our country .leave and go to your own country and celebrate there .what ever happed to freedom of speach

1. tammy says:

Freedom of speech only applies to other religions

134. Roman says:

Commie socialist pigs.

135. JustMe says:

Why not call it “Holiday Villiage” then?

1. Anna Savage Michael says:

Why not call it “Holiday Village?” Are you serious?? Don’t you get it???
      This is the Christmas season, celebrating the birth of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. If you believe it should be called a holiday village then you have no idea what the true meaning of this time of year is and what it means to Christians.
      We, as Christians, have every right to express our faith just like the Jews can put out a Menorah. Why don’t you go tell a jew to say Happy Holiday instead of Happy Haunaka?? See what happens!!

2. john says:

idiot,,,,ill bet you take advantage of christmas bonuses or overtime for working on christmas! dont like it,go back to the country you came from.

Comments are closed.