New Law Requires N.J. Drivers To Clean Snow Off Cars

(CBS) – New Jersey drivers now face fines for failing to clear snow or ice from their vehicles before heading out onto the road.

Under an amended law that takes effect today, drivers are required to clear the snow and ice off their cars, trucks, S.U.V.s and even big commercial vehicles before getting out onto the road.

Pam Fischer is director of the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety:

“We don’t want anybody to be hurt or killed out there because someone simply didn’t take the time to make sure that their vehicle was safe before it was put out on the road. I mean that’s just unacceptable to us.”

Fischer says police can stop you and issue a citation with a fine ranging from $25 to $75. And, she says if the snow or ice causes an accident, injuries or property damage, the fines go up to the range of $200 to $500.

Fischer says fine are steeper – $500 to $1,500 – for commercial vehicles.

Reported by Mark Abrams, KYW Newsradio

Comments

1. W.P.B. says:

Finally a good common sense law. Coming home from work today I saw a women pull up behind me at a light. Her windsheild was mostly covered with snow. Too lazy to clean it off, or more likely didn’t want to break a nail. This was over 12 hours after the snow had stopped. I went to the next safe spot and pulled over and let her go on by. Let her run into someone else.Heaven forebid. A coworker was almoat killed 2 years ago when ice from a passing truck went through the windshield of his truck.

2. Mel K says:

Good law. You have the idiots out there with gigantic full size SUVs who are too lazy to clean off the top of their SUVs. If the SUV is too big for the driver to maintain, then the driver needs a smaller vehicle. It’s not that hard to clean off using a small step stool.

3. J.ANSELMO says:

iF POLICE DEPTS don”t INFORCE THE CELL PHONE BAN & ISSUE TICKETS. WHO IS GOING TO INFORCE THIS LAW. POLICE DEPTS DON’T INFORCE THE LAW SO EVERY BODY GETS AWAY.

4. importer1 says:

do we get to fine them for not cleaning the road ways

5. Darlene says:

I think it’s a great idea!! I almost had an accident because someone didn’t clean off their car, and snow from their car flew at my windshield and I coulsn’t see. Scared the heck out of me, caused me to swerve my car and almost hit a pole. I say I’m all for it!!!

6. Joe says:

As the economy collapses from all the government transfers of your cash, you will see more stupid laws to exact fines. Where are the Blackwater mercenaries when you need them?

Comments are closed.