Bed Bugs Infest Senior Citizen Apartments
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — On Lombard Street, Casa Farnese has been Phil Spadano’s home for about a year now. But it is not a year he has enjoyed.
“I wish there was another place around here I could move to,” complained Spadano.
For the last two months, Spadano said his apartment in the senior citizen complex has had an infestation of bed bugs.
“I’m frustrated. I’m upset. I can’t sleep at night. I’m getting very tired of getting bit,” Spadano said. “They’re going to have to do more than they’re doing.”
Property managers for Casa Farnese and PRD Management, Inc. said they got their first complaint in mid-August. Then, as a precaution, they brought in a bed bug sniffing dog to search all 288 rooms. They said they found about 30 infested rooms and called in an exterminator to treat the rooms, a process that takes an hour.
Carol Ostock, site manager for Casa Farnese, said visitors can carry in bed bugs and workers can spread them from room to room, so she has taught the tenants to look out for signs of the bugs.
“We’ve provided them with an info sheet that explains exactly what they need to do and we’ve dedicated an employee who is helping assist them in the process of getting prepared,” said Ostock.
The apartment complex has helped tenants get prepared if their apartment does have a bed bug problem.
“We’ve been providing them with bags, tape, pretty much anything they’ll need to get ready,” said Ostock.
Loretta Ross has been living here for a year and a half now. And she said she has no complaints.
“Everyone seems to be doing whatever they can about the problem,” said Ross. “And it’s been, as far as I’m concerned, almost completely solved, and it’s a great place.”
If you suspect your apartment has bed bugs or the apartment of someone you know, notify the property manager immediately.
If you worry you have been in an area with bed bugs, make sure to put all your clean clothing in the dryer on high heat. If your clothing is dirty, wash it with hot water. The heat kills the bugs.
If possible, do not bring used furniture, especially mattresses, inside your home.
Reported By: Oren Liebermann, CBS 3